Dr. Debbie
Dr. Debbie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Companion animal veterinarian practicing for over 10 years.

Our dog ate a big can of hamburger grease that we left in the

Our dog ate a big can of hamburger grease that we left in the sink. She is an 85 lb. black lab, allergic to meat products. What should we give her to help her? Should we be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Debbie replied 5 years ago.

How long ago did she ingest the grease?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sometime within the last two hours

I would go ahead and try to get her to empthy her stomach and vomit that up. 2 hours is usually the limit you can do this, so go ahead and try this right away. You can give her 6 ounces of hydrogen peroxide by mouth - if you don't have peroxide then give her 3 tablespoons of salt by mouth. She should vomit in 20 minutes or so. If she doesn't you can repeat one-half dose.

The grease can cause pancreatitis and I would watch her for signs of vomiting, diarrhea or poor appetite. If you see any of this, take her in to your vet so they can check her for pancreatitis with a quick blood test and get treatment started. At a minimum I'm sure she will at least have an upset GI tract. Unwillingness to eat is usually a sign you need to go to your vet.

Hopefully she will get most of the grease up and not have much trouble with this. Don't give her any more food or water tonight. Just let her stomach settle after she vomits until morning and resume normal diet.

Let me know if you have more questions,

Dr. Debbie

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do I get her to take Hydrogen peroxide or the salt

You can squirt the peroxide in with a turkey baster or medicine dropper. The salt you just aim her nose up in the air, open her mouth and pour it in. It makes quite a mess with some of it falling out.

Dr. Debbie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Companion animal veterinarian practicing for over 10 years.