Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

My dog is continually staring at a spot in the carpet-he just

My dog is continually staring at a spot in the carpet-he just stands there staring for hours at a time like he is in a trance. He is wagging his tail constantly also while doing this. This has been going on for the last four days. I cannot get him to stop. He is 11 years old and a Border Collie.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about this behavioral change.
I am not sure the significance of this problem. It is difficult to assess that there is something medically wrong if you are not observing any other symptoms. However, for a 11 year old dog, I still have to be concerned about underlying diseases that may contribute to behavioral changes. This includes hypothyroidism, cognitive dysfunction, and other endocrine related diseases.
I would recommend starting with a veterinary examination and having a basic blood test performed for an overall health assessment. Ensure that the blood test includes a thyroid check.
Since their are no other symptoms of illness, the blood is a good broad test that tells us a lot about the body.
Now, if at any time, you are noticing circling, head tilts, awkward eye movements, or aggression, please notify your veterinarian immediately.
It would also be helpful if you can record the behavior on a camcorder or cell phone video mode to show to your vet.
Good Luck
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Here is some information about cognitive dysfunction and hypothyroidism, although a may not be applicable to this situation.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could he possibly be having seizures that are affecting his brain, he seems to be drooling alot and is only staring at the floor in the living room, he does not do this outside or in any other room, or maybe he is having problems with his eyes and is seeing something in the pattern of the living room carpet, he is now scratching and licking the carpet and also is licking the tops of his front paws like a cat does when grooming. Also I noticed that he seems to be chomping is mouth frequently. The camcorder idea is great, I didn't think of that!
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
A seizure is a possibility and part of your observation is the post-ictal period (after the seizure) where the behavior remains awkward. Very difficult to assess. That is why the basic blood screening is such an important point because it tells us a lot about the body as a whole. Of course, it doesn't include anything about brain problems like tumors, but we wouldn't start with an MRI.