Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

My dog has mucus in his stool. His stools are runny

My dog has mucus in his stool and his stools have been runny and uncontrollable for about two weeks off and on.

What can the cause for this be?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Mucous in the dog's stool is a sign of inflammation of the intestinal tract { enteritis } If you can imagine the intestinal tract red and inflamed then the body puts a protective mucous lining on it.

There would be a number of possible causes of enteritis in my experience, I could list them as follows :

1. Bacterial enteritis such as would occur with salmonella food poisoning or viral infections such as parvo.

2. Allergic enteritis, this can occur when a dog is sensitive to components of its diet such as wheat for example.

3. Poisonings, enteritis can be a feature of some poisons.

If you have not already done so and assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy you might want to try and control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I have often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve him today but make sure he has access to water.

B. Tomorrow feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if this does not work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet.

There are other home remedies, the judgment whether to use them is up to you but here is some information :

I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with diarrhea and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

Immodium AD { Loperamide } is also frequently used in the dog, a reasonable dose rate would be also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds body weight if over 20 pounds. Animals under 20 pounds should only receive the liquid form due to potential for overdose.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS