Dog keeps hacking trying to clear his throat.

My dog keeps hacking trying to clear his throat . Weird sound when he try's to breath. weird sound from stomach, sounds as if his stomach is turning. hacking every few minutes to clear his throat.
I don't know what he ate. We were playing ball he ran around the house and then came up to me making these noises.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  NHolmes replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like your dog might have either kennel cough

or canine influenza

Both of these are very easily picked up from another dog.

You can see if some Robitussin DM will help the dog breathe better and control any cough or sneezing or runny nose. Read here about cautions and dose info

You can see and hear a dog with kennel cough here

If you see a colored discharge from nose or eyes, if your dog coughs stuff up, seems lethargic, has any real trouble with breathing, or goes off eating, see your vet as your pet may have a secondary bacterial infection that will need antibiotics or other meds.

However given when this came on some other things to check for would be to see if you can find the ball as he may have swallowed it which would require vet attention.

Also this breed can have a problem called bloat which you can read about here

If you have any doubts see your vet with him today.

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I really don't think its any of these thing you have explained to me. I just had him taken to the vet for the something like kennel cough . His stomach is turning like crazy making noises like its upset .. This happening allot . Along with gagging like something is stuck in his throat. Last night I saw a little blood from his mouth. So I put my fingers down his mouth to see if I could help get something that might be lodged in his throat. Nothing was there.
Expert:  NHolmes replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like kennel cough or a swallowed non food item might be the issue.

You should read the article on bloat too.

Do listen to the videos on a dog with kennel cough as the most common thing people say about that is that it sounds like the dog has something caught in the throat or it sounds like a cat with a hairball.

With the stomach noises, the gagging, and the blood I'd get him in to the vet today to check for a swallowed non food item as he may have swallowed something sharp enough to do damage to the esophagus or the stomach resulting in the blood you saw. A chunk of bone, a stick or splinter, plastic from a bottle all are possible things that could cause this. If his ball is missing he could have torn the esophagus swallowing it.

As you are coming into a holiday when vet care would be hard to find I'd suggest seeing a vet today.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I can't agree with you on the kennel cough, just because he was fine a minute before he found his ball, ran around the house to bring it back to me.. I just took him in for possible kennel cough less than a month ago because of semilar issues , he was find but cost me 400 dollars to find that out. Bloat, Reading eveything. and he has only one thing out of the list of symptoms stomach making loud noises, he still has lots of energy response well. Just his stomach seems to be tring to push something through. I don't have allot of money right now so vet is going to be the very last thing I do. I know there going to charge me a ton to do test and x-rays to see if something is in his stomach. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  NHolmes replied 7 years ago.

If cash flow is an issue you might check into Care Credit
A credit card company for health care, including veterinary care.
"With a comprehensive range of plan options, for
treatment or procedure fees from $1 to over $25,000, we offer a plan
and a low monthly payment to fit comfortably into almost every
budget." They have a zero interest program if you pay within a certain time frame and they list the vets who work with their product.

so you can do care now and pay it off slowly.

An over the counter med you might try for the stomach noises would be Pepcid or Tagamet or Zantac.

Be sure to tell the vet when you see them if you use any of these.

You can read about dose amounts (and cautions) scrolling down on the pages here

My fear is that he has a non food item in his stomach which could end up causing a puncture or a blockage.

Thanks for your above accept!