alhdvm, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 11+ years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I work on all species of animals.

My dog ate ginger bread house and is sick. What do I do?

My lab ate an entire gingerbread house with all the candy embellishments. He also ate some raw cranberries that were in a container on the table. He's been vomiting all day and had diarrhea. He's probably vomited most of the contents. Is there anything I can give him to ease his discomfort?

How long ago did he eat all this stuff?

How old is he?

When was the last time he ate his dog food?

Is he acting sick other than the vomiting and diarrhea?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He ate all of this yesterday afternoon. He ate his dog food today, but has vomited it all. I've noticed both the candy in his diarrhea and cranberries today in his vomit. He's been drinking a lot of water which seems to only make him throw up, though the vomit consistency is now watery. He's 5 years old. He's acting a bit lethargic and laying around in the corner.

Well, it is never a bad idea to take him to your vet exam. The reason I say that is that dogs can get a pancreatitis from eating things that are not their normal diet. Pancreatitis can be very serious and often times the animals need hospitalization and fluids. Pancreatitis can be diagnosed with bloodwork.

In the meantime I would give him no more food, even if he acts hungry. He can have water but only let him have a few laps at a time. If you let him drink and drink then chances are he will over fill his stomach and vomit.

There is not anything you can give at home to stop the vomiting. You can try giving some Milk of Magnesia (20cc) to help push things through his system but if he is vomiting he may just vomit that up. It is not really recommended to give any oral medications when a dog is vomiting. I would suggest a vet visit.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.