Dr. K
Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My dog has been sneezing a lot but not discharging

My Bichon Friske dog has been sneezing a lot for the past 4 days, but not discharging.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

When you say that he sneezes "constantly" what does this mean? Is he sneezing all day? How many times in an hour would you say that he sneezes?
Is he rubbing at his face at all with his paws, or trying to rub his muzzle on the ground or on furniture?
Is he coughing?
Is he having any vomiting or diarrhea?
Is he lethargic, or active and alert?
Is he eating and drinking normally?

Dr. K

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

He is snezzing about 5 times every 20 minutes, also he do use his paws to rub face and also on carpets and rugs

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Is he coughing?
Is he having any vomiting or diarrhea?
Is he lethargic, or active and alert?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Is he having any difficulty breathing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No he is not coughing, vomiting, no diarrhea, not lethargic.

He eating and drinking normally, and he seem to have no difficulty breathing.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.

Sneezing, is a normal reflex that occurs when there is something that is irritating the lining of the nose. Many dogs will sneeze a lot when around an environmental irritant like room deoderizing spray, perfume, or a lot of dust.

Unless you recently changed something like this in his environment, then I think this is an unlikely cause of his problem.

Sneezing can also be a part of upper respiratory infection. However, dogs with respiratory infections will usually also have fever, malaise and nasal and/or ocular discharge.

One of the most common reasons for fits of sneezing several times per day, is a foreign body stuck inside of the nose. These foreign bodies can be things like leaves, twigs, dead bugs, pieces of toys, etc....If this is the case, this will not stop until the foreign body is removed.

Other causes of chronic sneezing are allergies, neoplasia (cancer inside of the nose) and parasites of the nose.

Since this has been going on for 4 days now, with no resolution in site, then I would take him into the vet to be examined. You will want to use a vet that has a piece of equipment called a rhinoscope. This can allow better visualization inside of such a small nose, so that a foreign body can be found if present.

I am attaching a client information handout that discusses this problem in more detail. I hope that you find it useful.

Click Here

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K

Dr. K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 11 years experience as Veterinarian