How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CVT_in_MN Your Own Question
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 16089
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
CVT_in_MN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a foil wrapped chocolate. Should I worry?

This answer was rated:

Poodle-Bichon cross about 15 lbs ingested many Hershey kisses (foil wrapped) has vomited up at least 15-20 wrappers, not sure how many went in. Abdomen is tender but not enough to cause a yelp when touched. Can he get over this on his own; what would help?

The toxicity of chocolate is judged by the amount of theobromine in it. Milk chocolate (like the kind in candy bars), contains 60 mg per ounce of theobromine. The toxic dose is one ounce of milk chocolate per pound of body weight. For example one pound of milk chocolate is poisonous to the nervous system of a 20-pound dog. If you figure it all out, it ends up being that it takes 2-3 chocolate bars to be toxic to a 10 pound dog.

Of course, it is always better to be safe than sorry, and the safest thing to do is to induce vomiting in your pup. Details on how to make that happen can be found here:

The best thing to do is give him some peroxide. Then adopt a watch and wait posture. The symptoms of chocolate toxicity include trembling, nervousness, shaking, increased heart rate, panting, and worse case scenario, seizures or death. Dogs that eat dark baker's chocolate squares are at most risk of seizing or dying from chocolate. I would also keep an eye open for tense stomach, attempting to vomit or defecate with no success and abdominal swelling as this can be a sign of intestinal blockage from any leftover wrappers that he may have ingested.

I hope this helps!

CVT_in_MN and other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The ingestion apparently occurred about 24-36 hours ago. He acted nervous but that has passed.
We are concrened about possible bowel obstruction.
It's just aluminum foil but he has brought up quite a lot of it. Is it likely he can either throw it up or pass it through?

If he ate the chocolate that long ago, then the odds of him throwing it up anymore are pretty slim.

I'd keep my eyes open when he defecates to see if there is any more foil coming out. As long as he's behaving normally (sleeping, eating, not acting painful, able to defecate without problems) then you're most likely in the clear. The foil may be small enough to just pass through without causing too much trouble, but I'd be diligent and keep my eyes open anyway, just to be sure.

More information can be found here: , .

Classic symptoms of an obstructed dog are: Mainly vomiting. Generally an obstructed dog will continue to vomit or dry heave even after they have stopped eating. Usually, they also do not produce much feces. Sometimes, they will experience pain in the abdomen. Any dog that vomits more than three times in one day, stops eating or defecating for more than two days, has a painful abdomen, or has a marked decrease in energy or activity should be seen by a vet as soon as possible.

I hope this helps!