NHolmes
NHolmes,
127115

What causes a dog’s head to be hot?

My experience with dog's heads being warm is it's a part of their natural cooling process. Blood flows through the head area and circulates out to the ears to promote heat loss. It also circulates into the mouth area as panting is also used for heat transfer out of the body. 
Anywhere in the head that the blood flows is apt to warm up. 
Swelling in the throat area may be due to swollen lymph nodes, a swollen salivary gland, a 
dental abscess and possibly a thyroid issue. 
Usually with dogs, a thyroid issue drops their body temperatures. 

Read full interaction below »

Sometimes my dog's head will feel hot to the touch. What's the cause? This is a hot spot, not a body temp question. I've also just found a swelling in my dog's (5yr old Bassett/Lab mix) throat, possibly thyroid gland abnormality (vet apt. tomorrow to find out). Could this hot spot have been an early sign of a tumor since it may affect the jugular and it's supply of blood to the head?

Category: Dog Veterinary

My experience with dog's heads being warm is it's a part of their natural cooling process. Blood flows through the head area and circulates out to the ears to promote heat loss. It also circulates into the mouth area as panting is also used for heat transfer out of the body.
Swelling in the throat area may be due to swollen lymph nodes, a swollen salivary gland, a dental abscess and possibly a thyroid issue.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank You! My vet also gave me the same answers today. Thankfully the swelling in my dogs throat area was indeed lymph glands doing their job fending off a doggie cold. Also the heat from the head is most likely due to anxiety; as we humans blush, dogs may flush and release heat in much the same way; just out the top of the head.

You are very welcome!