My Pomeranian gags and coughs like she's coughing up a furball

My Pomeranian gags and coughs like she is coughing up a fur ball - she alway ends the cough with an exagerrated hack. She does this periodically during the day - but especially when she gets excited or lays in certain positions. She is 11 years old and this started about a year ago. What could this be? I took her to the vet and they checked her out and thought it might be a "pinch" in her trachea.........but she is now choking like this about 10 - 12 times a day. I don''t want to be ignoring something else that might be going on............what else should I get checked out? and have you heard of these actions in other small breeds?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Cerecita replied 8 years ago.

Does her cough sound like a 'goose honk'?

When was she seen by the vet and what were the results of the x-ray of the trachea?

Was she diagnosed with kennel cough, or the vet just prescribed this medication to help ease her coughing?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She was seen by the vet about 6 months ago.........and No - it does not sound like a goose honk - it is more like a gaging or choking and trying to cough something up.........she always turns herself up so she is standing or promps herself up so as not to choke - and then ends the coughing or choking with an exagerated hack like she finally cleared something. We only tried the kennel cough medicine to see if she had a slight case - but No she was not diagoned - the vet did not see anything on her x-ray - but the x-ray technician said that he saw a slight pinch - so my vet said we should just keep on eye on it - but it continues and I am afraid I might be overlooking some other condition that I might need to be checking for. The cough is more like a kennel cough - but it does not go away.
Expert:  Cerecita replied 8 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

From your description, it sounds like she may have a collapsed trachea, but that kind of cough usually sounds like a goose honk and the loss of elasticity in the rings of her trachea, might have shown up on the x-ray, however, this is not easily seen in all dogs during x-ray; an endoscopy would show more. Pomeranians are predisposed to this condition. A slight trauma to the trachea, which was incurred accidentally and you didn't know about, might also have started this coughing.

She also could be 'reverse sneezing', as this can sound like a cough and have the properties you describe. This is not a sneeze at all, but a spasm caused by an irritation of the soft palate.

Coughing can also be related to a cardiac condition, so because she's a 'senior' and she seems to need to put herself in a more 'upright' position, to cough and try to clear what's bothering her, perhaps an evaluation by a veterinary respiratory/pulmonary and/or cardiac specialist, would be a good idea, at this time. Specialists can be found at ER vet centers and also Veterinary Colleges. Ask your vet for a referral, if you decide to do this.

I hope you're able to have her definitely diagnosed and treated soon, so she'll be feeling more comfortable and you'll be feeling less worried!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Cher's Post: Thank you for your response = I forgot to mention that she also seems to get a stiff neck every once in a while and walks with her head arched forward - it also is sensitive to the touch - do you think this has anything to do with the condition we were discussing?
Expert:  Cerecita replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,

Yes, I do think these additional, yet intermittent symptoms, could be related to the conditions we were discussing. A dog will stretch her neck forward when trying to cough and feels like she must dislodge something from her throat/trachea, to breathe better.