jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900
Dog Veterinary

How Do You Know When Your Dog Is Done Having Puppies?

How do I know if... Show More

How do I know if my dog is done having puppies? It has been an hour since the last one was born and I am not sure all the afterbirth came out. Can you help?

Category: Dog Veterinary
replied 9 years ago.

It is possible for a mother to not deliver all her pups. Usually when a pup is retained, a dog does not act normal. They may appear restless, distressed, actively straining, lethargic, non-interested in their pups.

However, if your dog is eating, drinking, urinating, nursing her puppies, cleaning them and basically acting normal, she has most likely delivered all her puppies.

Sometimes females will take a break of an hour or so in the middle of having puppies especially if it is a large litter. So keep an eye on her for a while longer just in case she isn't done.

If you feel there is a puppy still inside your female and she shows no signs of contractions, then you should take her to the Vet to be sure. It's a good idea to take her and the pups in anyway for a post whelping checkup to ensure all placentas were delivered as well in the morning. Sometimes a mother is so quick, the placenta is gone before you ever see it.

Here are somethings that would signal your dog is having problems after delivery. If your dog has intense abdominal pain, pale gums and tongue, sudden drop in temperature or collapse, she needs to be seen as soon as possible as she may have uterine torsion. If your dog has a green, smelly discharge from her vulva, fever, loss of appetite and listlessness, it is possible she has a uterine infection due to bacteria or a retained placenta and needs to be seen immediately.

Look for breast infections on a regular basis. If a breast becomes inflamed, red and hard to the touch, your dog will need to be seen by your vet.

Hope this helps and congratulations on your puppies.