jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Pregnant dog has clear mucus discharge.

My pregnant dog has a clear mucus discharge. She is a just over 7 weeks pregnant. The discharge does have an odor.

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 years ago.

It is normal and usually seen a week to 2 weeks before delivery.

A dog’s gestational period (pregnancy) is approximately 63 days from breeding. One way of knowing when your dog with have her puppies is to take her temperature twice daily at the same time each day as her due date gets close. Keep a record of this.

A dog’s normal temperature is between 101-102.5F degrees. Her temperature may rise and fall during this time, but once her temperature falls below 99 degrees, she should go into labor in the next 24 hours. The temperature drop is due to a reduction in serum progesterone levels and signals that the dog will start labor within 24 hours.

You can read about this at:
http://www.labbies.com/reproduction1.htm

You may also notice her breasts swelling during this last week of pregnancy and some milk leakage. Dogs will usually become restless and increase their digging and nesting behavior during the last week. You will notice an increase in her panting as well as a mucousy discharge.

You may also notice some abdominal contractions or rippling as her time grows closer. Do not be surprised if your dog is very restless and vomits as few times during this last week.

Once your dog's temperature has dropped, please do not leave her alone in case of complications. As she enters actual labor you should be able to see her contractions and most dogs will begin looking at their hindquarters. An increase of licking of the genitals is normal before and during labor. Be sure and have an emergency Vet’s phone number readily available just in case of an emergency during the birthing of the puppies.

Here is an excellent site about whelping.
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medical/whelping.html

Some other signs that my dogs always seem to exhibit are lack of appetite, frequent urination and frequent small, runny bowel movements in the day before labor starts. Frequently my dogs will start looking at their rears when the first real contractions start.

I hope you find this information helpful. Congrats on your upcoming puppies.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

The clear mucus is seen after she pees. This does not come from her vagina.

It may seem like it isn't coming from her vagina, but it is. This is perfectly normal. It usually is a mucousy, whitish or clear stringy discharge that hangs down after they urinate. Normally this starts about a week before delivery but in some dogs it can start a week earlier. This happens with all pregnant females and is nothing to be worried about at all. You will probably be seeing this all the way up to delivery. A dog pushes slightly to urinate and due to squatting the vulva is spread apart slightly. The urination helps move the mucous down. If you take tissue and "catch" the mucous and hold it up without detaching it, you will see that it indeed comes from the vulva and not the urethra.