jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

My Dog Ate Tootsie Roll.

Customer Question

My dog just ate a pound bag of tootsie rolls. Should I take her to the vet?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 years ago.

Hi ,

First thing is to not panic. It depends on the amount of actual chocolate in them. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .

Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.

If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorbion and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.