sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 2002 town and country. driving home last night and

Customer Question

i have a 2002 town and country. driving home last night and all power went out for a couple of seconds as if someone turned off the car. went about 50 yards and it happened again. like i was running out of gas. looked like lights turned off and total loss of pedal.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: happened really fast but i think headlights and dask lights went out too
JA: Are you fixing your Town and Country yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just happened last night. havent done znything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: happened about a month ago but i thought i was running out of gas . i was really low so i got gas. after filling up it kept doing it for a bit but i was able to make it home at a low speed
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Tell me, did the check engine light come on anytime before or after this incident happened?

Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Also air conditioner went out a couple days ago
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Okay, then this may be something as simple as a loose connection at the battery (cables), or the connection(s) at the under hood fuse box. Check the battery cables, and connections. Make sure they are clean and tight. Then let me know if they were loose/dirty.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Cables are clean and tight
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Wondering if no air conditioning is related
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Okay, can you make it act up by wiggling/shaking the wiring harness at or around the under hood fuse box?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not acting up when jiggling wires around fuse box
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

HMMM, you said that you though the headlights went out at the same time. Are you certain that they did?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Almost positive
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
There is stuff on internet about stalling while driving being a common problem with these vans.
Have you heard of any
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Then it has to be a system loss of power issue. I was maybe thinking ignition switch, but if the headlights also went off, then an ignition switch would not cause this. I am thinking maybe a ground or the positive cable where it attaches to the IPM (under hood fuse box).

Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

I have seen stalling issues, but that is usually a PCM (engine computer) or the cam or crank sensor failing. However neither of those would affect the headlights.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
What about a bad fuel filter
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

Well a bad fuel filter will cause stalling/loss of performance especially under heavy throttle, but again would not affect the lights. However if it has been a while since the filter was replaced, then you should do that just foe maintenance reasons.

Chris

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Where is the fuel filter
Expert:  Chris replied 11 days ago.

It is right next to the fuel tank under the van. Pretty easy to replace once you get safely underneath it. Once you purchase the new one, you will know what to look for.

Chris

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication. Did you no longer need help?