Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2005 dodge sprinter 2500. P0087 code.. hard to

Customer Question

I have a 2005 dodge sprinter 2500. P0087 code.. hard to start. when it cranks up it runs great even all day but if it sets for a hour or so it will take 20 to 30 minutes to get it cranked unless I spray diesel starter fluid in it. Any ideas?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This code indicates fuel rail pressure to low.This can be caused by a restricted fuel filter needing replaced, a leaking fuel line or a leaking injector either leaking down into a cylinder or to much through its return port.In some cases it is the low pressure pump in the tank that starts to fail ( as most have equipped) with it needing replaced.

All of these need to be checked into to locate which is the cause.I would start with replacing the fuel filter.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
when it does crank there is no excessive smoke coming out of exhaust. I will check fuel pressure at tank and filter
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
what pressure is needed at tank and at filter outlet?
Expert:  Pete replied 7 days ago.

Your fuel pressure from the tank and at filter should be 58 to 65 psi.Any lower then this before the filter and the low pressure pump is faulty.If the pressure is lower then this after the filter but before the injection pump then the filter needs replaced.If the pressure is o.k. then the injectors need tested ( this usually requires special test equipment) to locate any faulty injectors needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete