sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Have a 2001 cummins which cuts out while driving, sometimes

Customer Question

have a 2001 cummins which cuts out while driving, sometimes for a second or two sometimes longer...was searching for fuel shutoff solenoid, but apparently isn't one on this truck?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Not a gas hog, starts fine, idles good, usually cuts out while driving
JA: What is the model of your '01 Dodge?
Customer: 3500 4x4 w/manual trans
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, injector pump, throttle position sensor, cam position sensor...what started the issue was a new long block install, old engine ran good, but block was cracked
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think that's it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  John Taylor replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a Chrysler Master Tech, specialzing in cummins engines.

There is no fuel shut off solenoid on this truck, the vp44 is electronic, the fuel shut off is signaled from the ecu.

Are there any active dtc's in the computer?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming that the engine is actually going into limp in and returning to idle. There are several possible causes, the most common would be the injector pump, transfer pump, APPS and MAP sensor.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?