Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Got a 2011 caliber two weeks ago, out of the blue, it won't

Customer Question

got a 2011 caliber two weeks ago, out of the blue, it won't shift into gear. Took me about 5 minutes to physically get it in reverse, another 2 minutes to get it into first. Now I can't move the stick but an inch or two, can't find the grooves for the gears, and, despite it being parked on a hill, when I disengaged the parking brake the car didn't move. Front wheels were locked
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: transmission is original, 2011. have not checked the brake switch
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, I have neither the tools, nor knowledge to fix it meself. Checked the transmission fluid and it was fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had the car since 2014, it just crapped out two weeks, not that I just bought it two weeks ago
Expert:  TIM replied 1 month ago.

This five speed is a constant-mesh manual transaxle. All gear ranges, except reverse, are synchronized. The reverse gear utilizes a reverse brake for shifting ease. The reverse idler gear is supported on a sliding spindle idler shaft. The transaxle case is aluminum with a steel end-plate bearing cover. It is housed in a die-cast aluminum case featuring a two-piece, middle split design.

The T355 transaxle internal components can be serviced only by separating the gear case from the bellhousing case.

Expert:  TIM replied 1 month ago.

We will need to inspect the front axle cv joints -- if broken it can cause this concern and we will need to check the clutch operation

Expert:  TIM replied 1 month ago.

HARD SHIFTING

Hard shifting may be caused by a mis-adjusted crossover cable. If hard shifting is accompanied by gear clash, synchronizer clutch and stop rings or gear teeth may be worn or damaged.

Mis-assembled synchronizer components also cause shifting problems. Incorrectly installed synchronizer sleeves, struts, or springs can cause shift problems.

Worn, damaged, mis-assembled or leaking hydraulic clutch release system/components can also cause difficult shifting or gear clash.

Expert:  TIM replied 1 month ago.

any further info required please let me know