Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 1998 dodge durango with a 5.7L. I went to start it

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 1998 dodge durango with a 5.7L. I went to start it the other day. I put the battery in, the park light come on and when I got into the cab to started it. The headlight was push in, so I try to start it and there was no power inside the cab and the security light came on. The headlights comes on and the interior lights come on too.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent. I try with a different battery and I got the same thing
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I check the fuses. That's all.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: About 3 months ago. I started it and drove around the yard and down the hwy and park it after that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Are you saying there is no power inside the vehicle? No dome lights?

Do the headlights work? Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I put the key in and try to start it, there is no power to start it but the security light comes on then goes out. I turn the key back to off. Then try to started it again and turn the key to start there is no power.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. You certainly have a major loss of power to all or some vital circuits on your vehicle. I can help narrow it down. You will need to use a test light or a voltmeter and check the MAIN fuses under the hood to start with. IF they are good, then we check for power on these major fuses..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You said the battery was replaced correct? Did you replace the battery for this reason or did this start happening after the battery was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery was weak and I had a spare fully charge battery.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Ok, excellent! So was the vehicle starting with the old battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Ok, so have you tried to install the old battery back in place?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I have it on a the changer. It's only 3/4 fully change.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Ok, the reason I mention this is because the battery may just be bad. It could have a full charge on it, but it might be bad preventing the engine from starting.

If this problem only happened after the battery was installed, then maybe you blew a fuse when installing it..

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I will check the fuses, I was thinking the same thing.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.