Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Alternator not charging battery. new alernator & battery,

Customer Question

alternator not charging battery. new alernator & battery
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: yes battery is good. will run as long as jump box connected. cuts off when jump box/battery charger is disconnected
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 99 plymouth voyager
JA: Are you fixing your Voyager yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: going to check shut off relay and fuse link.. The Snow has held me up
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no. thank you
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, first, I need the engine size - 2.4, 3.0, 3.3 or 3.8L

Second, do you have a voltmeter for testing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
3.3 Yes, I have a volt meter
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, give me a couple of minutes to pull up the schematics and type up the testing you will need to do

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. I'm not with the van right now. I'll have to follow your instructions tomorrow
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What I mean is, you can tell me now, I'll do it tomorrow
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Ok, no problem.

trying to type it up now

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

The voltage is regulated by the PCM(powertrain control module), which has an electronic voltage regulator built in. It controls the voltage thru a signal sent thru the dark green wire to the alternator

Ok, first, at the black with gry striped wire at the alternator, you need to check it for 13.5v or more with engine running. If present, then you will need to repair that wire between it and the battery, usually the fusible link in the wire near the battery.

If not, then check the dark green with orange striped wire for at least 10.5v. If not present, you will need to check that wire for a break in it between it and the ASD relay If wire is ok, replace the relay.

If at least 10.5v present, then you will need to check the dark green wire for 12v with engine running. If not present, then you will need to test this wire. Disconnect the battery. At the firewall near the battery is the PCM - see attached for location diagram.

Now, on the PCM there are 2 connectors - a 40 pin and a 80 pin. Disconnect the 40 pin connector and disconnect the connector to the alternator with dark green wire. On pin 8 of the PCM connector - see attached for pinout - place one voltmeter lead and place the other lead on the pin at the alternator connector for the dark green wire. With voltmeter on ohm setting, check for resistance. If missing, the wire is broken. Either trace wire and repair or run a new wire. If resistance is present, then the PCM has failed and will need to be replaced

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

HI,

Forgot to give detail on testing the dark green with orange striped wire for the ASD relay output to the alternator. Remove the asd relay and place one voltmeter lead in the #87 cavity for it on the fuse box- see attached - and other lead on pin for dark green wire with orange stripe of alternator and check for resistance - if missing trace and repair wire or run new one

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required ratingPlease remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 3 months ago.

At this time, unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE /3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.