Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2007 Doge Dakota V8 4.7 - engine running rough and cut off

2007 Doge Dakota V8 4.7 - engine running rough and cut off sometimes. Getting DTC P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1. Replaced sensor. Getting this same problem

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

The DTC : P0340 fault could be the Camshaft sensor but that sensor is only one possibility of many

please read below the trouble shoot steps necessary to identify and solve the P0340

please click blue link to view the diagrams ,there is 13 of them

2007 Dodge or Ram Truck Durango 4WD V8-4.7L VIN N

Save Article

P0340-CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT

Zoom and Print Options

For a complete wiring diagram refer to Diagrams/Electrical.

- When Monitored:

During engine cranking and with the engine running. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.

- Set Condition:

At least 5 seconds or 2.5 engine revolutions have elapsed with crankshaft position sensor signals present but no camshaft position sensor signal. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Zoom and Print Options

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

Crank the engine.

Ignition on, engine not running.

With a scan tool, select View DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

- Go To 2

No

- Go To 14

2. (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Measure the voltage on the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit in the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Is the voltage between 4.5 and 5.2 volts?

Yes

- Go To 3

No

- Go To 10

3. (K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT

Zoom and Print Options

Measure the voltage on the (K44) CMP Signal circuit in the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Is the voltage between 4.5 and 5.0 volts?

Yes

- Go To 4

No

- Go To 7

4. (K900) SENSOR GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the C2 PCM harness connector.

CAUTION: Do not probe the PCM harness connectors. Probing the PCM harness connectors will damage the PCM terminals resulting in poor terminal to pin connection. Install Miller Special Tool #8815 to perform diagnosis.

Measure the resistance of the (K900) Sensor ground circuit from the CMP Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

- Go To 5

No

- Repair the open in the (K900) Sensor ground circuit.
- Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests > Powertrain Verification Test

5. (K44) CMP SIGNAL SHORTED TO THE (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT

Zoom and Print Options

Measure the resistance between the (K44) CMP Signal circuit and the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit in the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

- Repair the short between the (K44) CMP Signal circuit and the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.

No

- Go To 6

6. CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

NOTE: Inspect the Camshaft sprocket for damage. If a problem is found repair as necessary.

If there are no possible causes remaining, view repair.

Repair

- Replace the Camshaft Position Sensor.

7. (K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Is the voltage above 0 volts?

Yes

- Repair the short to battery voltage in the (K44) CMP Signal circuit.

No

- Go To 8

8. (K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Measure the resistance of the (K44) CMP Signal circuit from the CMP Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

- Go To 9

No

- Repair the open in the (K44) CMP Signal circuit.

9. (K44) CMP SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Zoom and Print Options

Measure the resistance between ground and the (K44) CMP Signal circuit in the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

- Repair the short to ground in the (K44) CMP Signal circuit

No

- Go To 10

10. (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the C1 PCM harness connector.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Is the voltage above 0 volts?

Yes

- Repair the short to battery voltage in the (F856) 5-voltSupply circuit.

No

- Go To 11

11. (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT OPEN

Zoom and Print Options

Turn the ignition off.

Measure the resistance of the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit between the CMP Sensor harness connector to the appropriate terminal of special tool #8815.

Is the resistance below 5.0 ohms?

Yes

- Go To 12

No

- Repair the open in the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.

12. (F856) 5-VOLT SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

Zoom and Print Options

Measure the resistance between ground and the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit in the CMP Sensor harness connector.

Is the resistance below 100 ohms?

Yes

- Repair the short to ground in the (F856) 5-volt Supply circuit.

No

- Go To 13

13. PCM

NOTE: Before continuing, check the PCM harness connector terminals for corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Repair as necessary.

Using the schematics as a guide, inspect the wire harness and connectors. Pay particular attention to all Power and Ground circuits.

Were there any problems found?

Yes

- Repair as necessary.

No

- Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module.

14. ERRATIC CMP SIGNAL

With a lab scope probe and the Miller special tool #6801, back probe the (K44) CMP Signal circuit in the CMP harness connector.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap the Camshaft Position Sensor.

Observe the lab scope screen.

Allow the engine to idle.

Observe the lab scope screen.

Did the CMP Sensor generate any erratic pulses?

Yes

- Replace the Camshaft Position Sensor.

No

- Go To 15

15. ERRATIC CKP SIGNAL

Turn the ignition off.

With a lab scope probe and the Miller special tool #6801, backprobe the (K24) CKP Signal circuit in the CKP harness connector.

Ignition on, engine not running.

Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap on the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Observe the lab scope screen.

Allow the engine to idle.

Observe the lab scope screen.

Did the CKP Sensor generate any erratic pulses?

Yes

- Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

No

- Test complete, the conditions that set this DTC are not present at this time

© 2017 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13830)

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am getting 5V from left and right pin from CMP Sensor harness connector with key on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Between the middle and left and right pin.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The middle is a ground I guess. Next step is to measure resistance of the ground pin? Between The PCM harness plug and the CPS?

do you have ground coming from pcm

look at the circuit diagram to know which one

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/a3da5e4c-66e9-4fb5-b9d8-d5323c92dffd_1.gif

Hi, just checking in ,to see how things are going,Do you need further assistance ?

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician