b5demon
b5demon, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler master technician for over 17 years Sprinter and Viper specialist
13235514

I have a 2010 Freightliner Sprinter that starts fine and

Customer Question

Hello I have a 2010 Freightliner Sprinter that starts fine and will idle all day if you wanted , you can rev the engine and it sounds great . When it's placed in gear it has no power and will just die like some one turned the key off . Any ideas ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.

this is generally caused by a failed convertor. the torque convertor is stuck in lock up and when you put it in gear its as if you let the clutch out in a manual with out pressing the gas. it is either a failed convertor or a failed lock up solenoid for the convertor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I dont think that's correct I can put it in gear and hold the brake and it will spin the tires , drive it down the road it dies

oh ok well the question was completely clear I was thinking it died as soon as it was put into gear. how many mils are on the vehicle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
180,000 miles new fuel filter , new fuel pump , new air filter all done by Freightliner

okay.. does it ju quit or does it seem like it hesitates a bt before shutting off. also does it immediately restart?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It quits so fast it's like someone turned the key off , falls flat on it's face , then pull to the side of the road and it starts right up

hmm do the lights on the dash stay illuminated as if in the on position or is everything dark?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Lights stay on
Expert:  b5demon replied 5 months ago.

Is the check engine light on and have you had it checked to see if there are any codes in the computer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry took me a little bit to get back with you , in getting a P0087 code Fuel Rail / System pressure to low , van does have new high pressure fuel pump and new fuel filter and new fuel rail pressure sensor could it have anything to do with in tank lift pump ?