Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Passenger bat was smoking so i unhooked it. now its cold so

Customer Question

passenger bat was smoking so i unhooked it. now its cold so 1 battery isnt enough to start so i jumped it . ground that went to pass. bat hot and smoking. now starter is turning over slow even with key off and out. i can only stop it by disconecting cables. then no power at all
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: i have been jumping to start each morning for a week then it would start all day. only 1 bat hooked up
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 dodge dually 3500
JA: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i havent tried anything yet but when i put the cables on it starts to turn over with no key on and the pass. bat . neg. wire starts smoking. its not hooked up to battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i dont think so
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you anyway I can.

Does the engine crank over now or not?

Have you replaced the passenger side battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No some kind of short
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

How do you plan on diagnosing this short?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dont know
But now when i hook up jumper cables it sparks like im hooking backwards but im not
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

It will spark a bit if there is any component left on drawing current from the battery.

Does it continue to smoke with the jumper cables hooked up?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it turns over with no key
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Where does the smoke come from?

Can I start by getting your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Smoke comes from ground pas.side where it mounts to truck.
Give me a minute I'll get vin
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vin ty5t2664
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

May I get the whole VIN?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry that was my trailer vin I'll go back out and get it. Its like 2 degrees out
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3d7mu48c34g104534
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the VIN!

The ignition switch or integrated power module would be the two most likley possible causes for this cranking condition without the key.

You could remove the starter relay or fuse 14 in the TIPM under the hood and connect the jumper cables or install a new battery to see if this prevents the starter from activating. I suspect it will.

The smoke may be coming from the integrated power module that contains all of the fuses. These go bad all of the time and it would explain the cranking condition by itself you are experiencing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok i will try that. I'm also planning to head out soon for 2 new batteries
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Sounds good!!

Let me know how it goes!!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I pulled fuse 14 and hooked up jumper cables still turns over slow with key off
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I got a tip from another expert. He said that this is likley due to is caused by dirty battery cables, especially the positive battery cables. Corrosion on the eyelets and Through Bolt causes overcharging of the passenger battery and undercharging of the driver battery.

He said that the way this system is wired, the alternator is hooked to the passenger battery, and the computer takes charging voltage reading from the driver battery. When there is high resistance is in the battery connections, it results in overcharging the passenger battery causing it to smoke.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok that makes sense so what should I do?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I would clean the battery cables and terminals on both ends and install new batteries. Once this is done we can diagnose the cranking issue by itself. I suspect the integrated power module may be at fault.