Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Cylinder misfire #5, 2011. only happen over 75 mph, 1500 ram

Customer Question

cylinder misfire #5
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 2011. only happen over 75 mph
JA: What is the model of your '11 Dodge?
Customer: 1500 ram big horn 5.7
JA: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just only changed the coil and the plugs for that clyinder
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Did the spark plug appear black or sooty at all when it was removed?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,was it wet with raw fuel at all?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,since it was black or sooty this indicates that the cylinder is running to rich and since this is only one cylinder issue here this usually indicates the fault is with the fuel injector for that cylinder itself.I have seen the injectors act up before and cause this fault here.If you have not had the injectors tested this should be done to see if it needs replaced.It can atomize incorrectly allowing to much fuel in causing this fault here at higher speeds.In some cases it can be cleaned to correct this as well.If you go with the cleaning route here I would make sure this is professionally done with a cleaning machine at a shop or dealer.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete