Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Replaced cam and now the engine won't start, Bought a new

Customer Question

Replaced cam and now the engine won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Bought a new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7l
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced cam, lifters, and battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also lined up timing according to instructions and still won't start
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bs564930
121000 miles
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the delay, Thanks for the VIN and Milage.

Now I need to know exactly what happens when you try to start it? Does it crank and not start, Click or nothing at all? Do you have a compression tester so you can run a compression test?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Misfires when we try to start it and it's a very loud tapping noise and it does try and start but will not stay running - yes we did that compression is fine while cranking by hand. Seems like timing is off but we adjusted the timing according to the Haynes manual
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bearings are fine, new cam, new lifters, crank is good, rocker arm assembly good, valves are good too
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

What was the reason for replacing the cam in the first place?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It was throwing a misfire code and all the spark plugs were getting gunked up, even after replacing them, then eventually it started making a loud noise like the rod was thrown - I stopped driving it at that point. All of this started after a standard tune up! No codes or anything till then. The only thing left to replace is the whole engine itself and or the cars computer and I really can't afford to do either
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

When you removed the camshaft, did you notice damage to any of the lobes and corresponding rollers on the lifters??

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Then likely, the cam or lifters are not the problem causing this. You said that there is a loud knocking. It seems that you in fact do have something going on in the bottom end. Cam or lifters do not make loud knocking sounds a bad lifter will make a tapping sound and usually when a lifter fails on these, it takes out the cam with it. Normally you will find a damaged roller on the bottom of a lifter and corresponding damaged to the cam lobe.

Did you inspect the cylinder heads for possible valve seat problems, these are known for dropping valve seats. Also I've seen these break valve springs.

IF you are 100% certain that all that is ok, then the only thing left is the possibility that you may have not timed the cam properly. Can you decsribe the procedure used to install the camshaft and timing chain?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We are working on this today let me get back to you -I may still need your help
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Thanks,

remember, this question remains open for follow up questions even after you leave a positive rating. So if you want to rate now, I will still answer any follow up questions you may have....

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll do it later I'm busy with the truck right now
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** and let me know if you need any info or have any questions.

Thank you,

Robert