Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician
25319281

Attempting to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor

Customer Question

attempting to replace the engine coolant temperature sensor on a 2013 dodge journey 3.7 liter engine
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded.
Customer: I really can't even see them. I was told the sensor is part of the oil filter assembly, towards the back, which is not very visible.
JA: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've not done much other than read the code and buy the part. I was stymied by my inability to find the location of the sensor or any useful youtube videos (or the like) online.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Jim replied 14 days ago.

This is a 3.7 liter or 3.6 liter?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
3.6, sorry
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm not able to talk right now
Expert:  Jim replied 14 days ago.

The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor on the 3.6L engine is installed into a water jacket at rear of the cylinder head on the left side of the engine.
This picture should help you locate it.

If this information is helpful, please accept my answer and leave a positive rating before leaving the site.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
i knew where it was, I was hoping for instructions on how to best access it, as it looks to be inaccessible without removing other parts.
Expert:  Jim replied 14 days ago.

I am having problems with my computer, I will reopen your question and another tech will be with you shortly with some instructions.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
ok, thank you