Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a trailer built from the bed of an old dodge pickup

Customer Question

I have a trailer built from the bed of an old dodge pickup (75ish). Never been registered or titled. Is there a location on the frame somewhere that might have the original VIN so I could do a title search on the original pickup?
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: I don't know for sure. But I had an old 75 at one time that had the same shape and tail lights as this bed so I'm guessing a 75 or close. I don't know what years they changed shapes or light. I think mine was a d100. Does that sound right? It was a half ton long bed extended cab.
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: For what?
JA: What year is your MiniE?
Customer: What is a MiniE?
JA: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Are you sure you're answering the right person? I'm not trying to fix anything. I'm looking for a VIN# ***** an old pickup bed and I don't know what a MiniE is.
JA: No. I'm the Dodge Mechanic's Assistant. Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope. Just where to look for the number
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. There was a VIN number on the right frame rail, but it was located under the cab area of the frame. If you do not have that part of the frame, then there will be no number to find.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Depends on how forward of the bad it was. They left about 324 feet of the cab frame sticking out front of the bed and bent them together to make the tongue. Would the VIN number be on the inside or outside of the right frame rail?
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Depends on the year. Most were on the outside, but I believe the earlier trucks had it on the inside of the rail, so look closely on the inside and outside. let me know if you find it.

Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
3 to 4 ft*
Expert:  Chris replied 4 months ago.

Hopefully rust did not make it hard to read.

Chris