sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My Dodge D100 5.2 1988, cranks fine, no ignition to the

Customer Question

My Dodge D100 5.2 1988, cranks fine, no ignition to the plugs
JA: Have you checked the battery lately?
Customer: Are you familiar with this vehicle
JA: No. I'm the Dodge Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: ok,
JA: Are you fixing your D100 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Everything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have checked all the wiring, tuned up the engine, anew coil, new wires for plugs, truck ran beautiful, went to start it to move it, it just would no start, cranks fine, no ignition to the plugs, just sent out the computer, just got it back the other day, installed it today, same problem.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

One of the most common causes for a no spark condition was bad pickup plate in the distributor.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure the engine controller is awake. Does the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on? Does the idle speed motor move?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HelloCustomer I replaced the ignition pickup in the distributor when I tuned up the engine. I will check the fuel pump, but I am sure I can hear it, every time I start the truck its very loud so you cannot miss it. but I will check both of these items and get back to you soon. Thank you Ted

Where did the pickup plate come from?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
CHINA like everything else! LOL I bought it from NAPA auto parts.

Put the old one back in and see if it will start. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors are all but guaranteed to fail and often don't work right out of the box.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok sounds good, I will try this, I will let you know the out come
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, We put the old ignition pickup back in the distributor, same problem no ignition to the plugs, when turning the ignition key on you can hear the fuel pump and see the idle speed controller move, we have been struggling with this problem for a month. anything you can help us with would be greatly appreciated. what gets me is I know this is a first generation dodge, but really! something simple as no ignition should not be a major stinking problem.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Do you have power at the coil when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, there is no power to the coil.

How many terminals at the ASD relay have power with the key on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That I do not know at this point,

That is the next step in testing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK sounds good, I will check this tomorrow, and I will get back with you and let you know what we find. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles We put a test light to the ASD and we had power to the red wire and the blue wire, I am trying to figure out where theses two wires go to, there is no diagram that explains this. the other two wires are black and green, so I figure one is a ground, or both are, no sure.

Does the relay click when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The relay clicks when the key is turned on.

If you jump pin 30 to 87 is there then power at the coil?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we will check this right now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when we jump 30 to 87 there is power to the coil
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fuel pump runs when you jump this also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your not going to believe this, We just put the ASD relay back in, and we turned on the ignition just to make sure it stilled clicked, and its not clicking when you turn on the ignition.

But the idle speed motor does still move when turning the key on at the time the ASD relay does not work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the idle speed motor does work when the ignition is turned on.

With the relay jumped will it start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, we tried starting in when we jumped the relay, and it would not start.

With the relay jumped and engine cranking do you see fuel coming from the injectors?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's something I will check, I looked when the problem first started and we had fuel pumping, you could also smell the fuel, but I will check tomorrow, and I will let you know what the out come is. Thank you again for your help.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HelloCustomer We checked, and we are getting fuel from the injectors.

With the relay back in place and cranking do you have fuel from the injectors? If so then you have an open circuit between the ASD relay and the coil.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we have fuel when the relay is in place, So we need to replace the ASD?, if so, we bought one a while back, and that did not change anything. BUT! I will get another one today and see if it works. I will inform you of the results.

If you have fuel from the injectors then the ASD relay is working and the circuit is powering up. There has to be a wiring issue between the relay and the coil.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, we will check the wiring between relay and the coil.

Great!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when we jumped the wire from the ASD #30 to #87, we had power to the coil, other then that there is no power to the coil, we put a test light to the black wire #85 the fuel pump turned on and there was power to the coil.

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1B7FD04Y0JS635076 This truck is hard to find in the system, NAPA, had a difficult time and so did the dealership, I hope you don't. Thank you 1988 D100 5.2

Does the engine light do a bulb check and go out when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will have to check on that for you, Why,

We need to see how it's behaving and try to use it to check fault codes since I'm assuming you don't have a scan tool.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
O OK, No, I don't have a scan tool. should I get one?

Probably not if this is all you'd use it for. An actual scan tool starts At around $2,000.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
wow! ok, ill check the dash light tommorow

Ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles Just wanted to let you know that when we turn the key on, the engine light on the dash comes on and then goes off, Ted

Disconnect the battery to clear fault codes and reconnect it. Crank the starter for at least ten seconds without letting off the key.

Then cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch for the engine light to flash codes. After the last time you turn the key on the light will do a bulb check and go out, then come back and flash codes. It will flash up to nine times in between longer pauses. Count the flashes between the longer pauses, this is a code digit. Write down each digit you see and post them here in order.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Awesome! Its snowing and very cold here today, So Monday I will go threw all the steps and I will send you all the codes that come up. Thank you again for your help, You have a nice weekend. Ted

Not a ton of snow in my area but we've had several days of sub zero weather. Not good for working in!

Have a great weekend yourself!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkle Sorry for the delay, it was to cold to work on the truck yesterday, Today we did everything you told us to do, And what we found out was that we did not have an engine light flash on the dash. We thought we did but we don't, We you turn the key it does not come on. Ted

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do not worry, I know you have a full time job, I just wanted to give you an update, You email when you have the time, have a good day. Ted

I'll get back to you just as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Awesome Thank you

If you ground the dark blue/yellow wire at PCM pin 58 does the ASD relay click?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i don't know, but i will do this tomorrow, is there a diagram i can look up to see where pin #58 is located

The terminals are labeled on the end of the connector.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK we will do this tomorrow! you have a great evening!

You too!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles, Hope your day is good, we grounded blue/yellow wire to #58, and the ASD relay does click.

The relay isn't turning on because the PCM isn't controlling it then.

Have the PCM powers and grounds been load tested?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
UUHHH I have no idea, I sent the computer out to be redone but that's about it.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is this something we can do

The powers and grounds need to be load tested and if ok then the sensor ground circuit should be tested for a short to voltage, and the reference circuits checked for a short to ground. If ok then the PCM can be condemned and should be replaced. I can help with the wiring information but cannot access the diagram until this evening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's ok, we will wait until tonight for your next email, thank you for your help, very much appreciated

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
maybe if you could later, is explain to us how you do a load test, we are not familiar with this at all, thank you

I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know your working, so when ever you have a moment, thank you

Please allow me time to respond or I will need to open the question for others. I will not be able to reply until approximately 6 PM.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's ok, I figured you would not get back to me until later this evening

The grounds are the light blue/red wires in pins 15 and 16. The power feeds are the red wire in pin 41 and the dark blue/white in pin 12. You'll need to use at least an incandescent test light to test these, preferably a headlamp bulb and jumper wires set up to use as a test light to ensure that the circuits can support a load.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles, Hope your day is a good one, We tested under load all the pins, Here are the results
Pins 15 and 16 No light came on in the test light.
Pins 41 and 12 When tested, the test light did come on.
You have good day, talk to later
Ted

Can you explain exactly how you tested the grounds?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We gounded the test light and stuck the lead into the socket on the plug where the wire goes into

To check a ground with a test light you would connect the alligator clip to battery positive.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thank you! We will do this and get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, we did exactly what you told us to do,
And the test light came on for pins 15 and 16.

What voltage do you see on the black/light blue wire at the throttle position sensor with the key on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Don't know, but we will check this tomorrow, and get with you. Is there anything else we should check while we are doing this? If not, We would like to thank you again for your help, I am sorry for the long process with this problem. We hope you have a great evening. Ted

You can also check the voltage on the other two wires at the pickup plate and TPS.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, thank you

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles, I hope you had a good weekend, We just wanted to update you on our findings.
The voltage at the pickup plate in the distributor were, Orange wire 9.18 volts and the white or tan wire was 4.32
The throttle position sensor were, orange wire 8.67, brown wire .19 and white or tan .20, we had the ignition in the on position, I hope we did this correctly for you. you have a great day talk to you later. Ted

I'll need to look at the wiring diagram and get back to you this evening.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
very good, thank you

The pickup plate wires should have been black/light blue, orange, and gray/black.

The TPS wires are black/light blue, orange/dark blue, and violet/white.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry for the delay, we will check this again and get back to you

Ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, your wiring colors are correct, we were looking at the wrong plug on the TPS, we did a volt reading on the correct plug and the wire with Orange/ dark blue tracer reads .44 volts the wire that's violet/ white tracer reads .49 volts

What is the voltage on the black/light blue wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that one was a ground wire

Correct.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there anything else we should check?

Yes, the voltage on the black/light blue wire at the TPS or pickup plate.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem, we will have this for you tomorrow! You have a great evening!

You too!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles, I just spoke with my son, And he told me he did check the ground for voltage and it came up 0
Just wanted to let you know!

The PCM is going to need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the PCM
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, So this is the computer board mounted in the left wheel well of the truck, we sent this out before Christmas and had it repaired, So I guess they did not do such a good job? can I buy this new, or do I send the original out again to get look at for a second time?

The PCM is the powertrain control module, the module that controls engine functions.

Companies that claim to test or repair modules have a very poor reputation. You have at least two internal PCM failures that we have uncovered.

You need to replace the module but it's going to be a remanufactured part. I would recommend Mopar if it's still available or something from a parts store which carries a warranty. Aftermarket remans have a high failure rate also.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, Thank you again! I will get with the local dealership and see what they can do for me, if not, I try to locate a parts house that can get me a good one.

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Sprinkles, I hope your day is going well, I just wanted to let you know that we sent the brain back out for round two, NAPA auto will not charge me, My son and I greatly appreciate your help in this long process, we have learned a lot from you! we will let you know what the out come is as soon as we get the brain back! You have a great weekend! Ted

Have a great weekend yourself!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Sprinkles. How are you doing? I hope you are well and doing good, We sent out the PCM again, We just got it back today, We installed it and turned the key to the on position and saw that we had an engine light come on, So what I did was I turned off the key and turned it back on to see that the engine would still come on and it did, so I did a diagnostic check by turning the key on three times and received a code, It was the number 12, We then disconnected the battery because it was very low before we tried to start the engine, I went out to start the truck with a charged battery and when I turned the key on there was no engine light this time! I guess this PCM is really no good, I don't know! I just wanted to keep you informed of the progress. Don't know what else to do! TED
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

I would recommend replacing the PCM. I've never seen good results from sending one out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I will see if I can find a rebuilt one! I will let you know what happens, you have GOOD EVENING

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Sprinkles, I Hope all is well with you and your family, I just wanted to up date you on our quest to get my dodge running, We bought a PCM off the internet from Ebay, I did not know what to expect from this PCM because I didn't know what condition it would be in. To our surprise the truck started right up! Its running! we tested it to start several times and it runs every time. The only thing I wanted to ask you is this, from all the times we started the truck, The engine light on the dash board only came on one time, Is this a problem not having the light come on? should we check for something wrong by not seeing it? Ted

Do you mean when first turning the key on or with the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just when you turn the key on, sorry for the delay

That could be the PCM, a wiring issue, an internal instrument cluster issue or the bulb itself. It's not going to hurt anything if the light doesn't work, other than the fact that if it didn't work then you wouldn't know when fault codes were set.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good, I will just leave it alone, the truck starts and runs! Thank you again for your help! you are a true profession in your field and my son and I thank you! Ted

I'm glad you got it running and I'm glad I was able to help!

Please remember to rate my performance before leaving the site as it is the only way I receive credit for helping.

Good luck with your truck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you I sure will

You're welcome!