Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

Snow plow truck can have it down tonight loss of power cuts

Customer Question

snow plow truck can have it down tonight loss of power cuts in an out started about a week ago but was mildly intermitnent now in the middle of the night will run and idle rough and no power
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it fluctuates changing fuel filter today is in my plans
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 06 3500 cummins
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing my self only because dont have time for a mechanic to fix need to be ready for tonights storm
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I'd say the 1st thing to check is the fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures.

also if the fuel system is difficult to bleed satisfactorily then it may have developed an air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.

Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking the engine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Also if its not injecting at all then check the connections to the crankshaft sensor, unplug it and check for corroded contacts and broken wiring, and consider fitting a new sensor - do the same for the cam position sensor