Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

Iu have a 98 ram 1500 5.9ltr 4wd. with the key out and no

Customer Question

iu have a 98 ram 1500 5.9ltr 4wd. with the key out and no lights on the warning indicator keeps dinging with the drivers door open. didnt used to do this. i pulled the fuse for door locks and that shut it off but would like to know why its dinging
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be attempting to help you today. It sounds like you have a slight ignition switch issue. I believe that when you take your key out, the ignition lock is catching, but not good enough to recognize the key it fully removed. That's why it's dinging with the door open to let you know that the key is still in the ignition and not to lock the door. The reason the dinging stops with the fuse for the door pulled is because with the fuse removed, it like the door isn't open. I think that if you play around with the ignition while pulling the key out the dinging will not occur. If, this is the case you could change the lock cylinder and your problem would be solved.

Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
i put new ignition switch and lock cylinder in and still dings
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

You may have a bulb that's stuck on, but blown so it's not draining power. The door ajar buttons may be malfunctioning. You may have a short to ground somewhere. have you tried an amp draw test?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Not yet where would you start
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

You need a multi-meter with amperage capabilities in order to test this. You could also use a clamp meter, but I personally prefer the multi-meter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Im an electrician i have both i meant which circuits
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

I will check interior circuits. Anything that would create a warning chime under the condition of the door being open. I'm still leaning towards the ignition or light switch area since the chime usually requires the key to be in or the lights to be on.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok ill start with the lights.
Expert:  Todd M replied 15 days ago.

Sounds good.