Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

My 1990 Dodge Ram pickup randomly chooses not to start. It

Customer Question

My 1990 Dodge Ram pickup randomly chooses not to start. It will crank over but no start. After a few hours/overnight it might or might not start. Can not seem to see a pattern to it. Have had it at the shop, and it started every time for the mechanic, as soon as I brought it home, it would not start again.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery was checked and all looks fine.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: We took it in to the mechanic, and they can not find anything wrong since it starts every time for them except the initial time when they towed it in to look at it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We asked them to do a tune up even though they could not find anything wrong. They replaced spark plugs, replace spark plug wires, distributer cap was replaced, the rotor was replaced and the fuel filter was replaced
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1-We need fuel & spark to start , on this truck The distributor is #1 issue on them fort this intermittent condition

but you have replaced that already for the spark condition

2-the fuel pump pressure specs on this truck is :

1990 Dodge or Ram Truck

Save Article

Fuel Pump Pressure ......................................... 14.5 psi. (100 kPa)

Fuel Pump : The fuel pump mounts inside the fuel tank, from the top of the tank. The fuel tank must be lowered to access the fuel pump.

3- The Engine control module : The engine controller is located at the front left-hand corner of the engine compartment, behind the headlight assembly.

you need to take the electrical connector and inspect for broke pins making intermittent connection ,get electrical contact cleaner and spray connection and retest

4- the key is to check at time of no start , is to check what are you losing fuel or spark or both at that time ?

5- when it does not start ,get a starting fluid can and spray in the intake ,does it start ,if it does we know it fuel issue

6- please click on blue link to view the fuel pump & pcm location

7- so most common issue ,for intermittent no start the disturber (You replaced already) , fuel pressure & pcm or pcm wiring

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Happy Holidays

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat