Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2004 dodge ram 2500 head lights and tail lights come on when

Customer Question

2004 dodge ram 2500 head lights and tail lights come on when the switch and engine are off. I removed the dash switch control and the still come on. I can turn them off with the switch or opening the driver door but they come back on in a couple minutes. Disconnecting the battery is the only way to turn them off .
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: I have checked the bulbs and many connections. No changes.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have gone through the fuse panel and checked fuses and relays. No change. Checked bulbs and connections. No change. Removed the dash light-switch control trying to isolate the problem . Lights still came on by themselves without the switch connected. Disconnected the battery over night. No change.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: What controls the lights delayed shut off when the vehicle is turned off? also, this happens when the switch is off and no keys in the ignition.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

The front control module is faulty. This is built into the integrated power module under the hood. To address this issue you need to replace the IPM.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Where is the IPM located? Is there any test the IPM for function to make sure before I replace it?

The IPM is the fuse box under the hood. The test was the one you already did, remove the headlight switch to see if the issue remains.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
IPM the same as TIPM? Is the FCM in the TIPM or a separate part?

Yes the TIPM and IPM would be the same part, just the word totally is not used on your models IPM. The FCM is inside the IPM

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can I replace the FCM without replacing the IPM? Do I have to have any additional programming after replacing either of these parts?

You can only replace the FCM if you can find a replacement at the dealer sold alone and not together with the IPM. Here are the replacement steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/FCM.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/IPM.pdf

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris