Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Truck will not start. on a direct shot the engine will turn

Customer Question

truck will not start. on a direct shot the engine will turn over but will not start and continue to run
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: no code and not the starter will not engage
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 dodge ram 1500 4.7 non flex rwd
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing thus far, I had a mechanic do the direct shot and got the engine to turn over but it would not start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Your saying the engine does not crank over correct?

No signal to the starter?

Even if you power up the starter, the engine still does not crank?

Is this correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Ok, what type of scanner did you use to pull codes?

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

Also, are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the cluster when trying to start the engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not think any codes were pulled
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 months ago.

The reason I ask is because it sounds like there is either a power loss issue (bad connection, bad power distribution module or bad ground) upstream from the ignition switch or we have a faulty module on board the vehicle. The reason for checking codes in the computer is to make sure the computer is "awake" with the key on and be sure it is communicating like it should.

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing when trying to start it? We could have a security issue going on here.

If there are no security lights on or flashing, then the root cause could be a faulty PCM or a faulty TIPM located under the hood (provided all fuses are good). The TIPM and PCM both control the starting circuit of the vehicle and would prevent the engine from continuing to run if the starter was powered up directly.

Sometimes by doing a reset procedure will do the trick. You can disconnect the battery cables from the battery and rub them together for 5 minutes and then re connect them back up and that very well may allow the vehicle to start. This discharges the capacitors inside the modules on board the vehicle and might "unlock" them if they are frozen or locked up.