Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

98 dodge durango when i drive it seems like emergency brakes

Customer Question

98 dodge durango when i drive it seems like emergency brakes are on but not and red light stays on speedometir diesnt activate til fter 25mph and when i put in 2nd it wants to downshift
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Yes its full
JA: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My husband is
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: S3rpentine changed,trans belts adjusted,new brakes,new calipers,fluids changed and checked,wiring checjed,
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

At the parking brake switch. OHM test the white/black wire to ground. With the parking brake not applied this wire should not be grounded. If it is grounded then the parking brake is partially applied, the switch is bad or this wire is chaffed and touching ground somewhere behind the dash.

The speedometer VSS signal comes from the ABS and goes to the ECM and then to the instrument cluster. A scan tool is needed to see if either of those modules show the same 25 mph speed signal delay. If not and they read accurate then the instrument cluster is faulty.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris