-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

1998 dodge ram w/antilock rear brakes. on anti lock, no

Customer Question

1998 dodge ram w/antilock rear brakes. on anti lock, no pulse, no lights on dash.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: every thing looks to be Ok
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am working on it myself, I blead the brakes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

What exactly is your question? Is your brakes not working?

Talk soon,

Brad

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anti lock not working
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

If it's not setting any codes then it should be operating properly.. Here is how it works..

RWAL PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS

WHEEL/TIRE SIZE AND INPUT SIGNALS

The antilock system depends on accurate signals from the rear wheel speed sensor, to achieve maximum antilock performance. Vehicle's wheels and tires should all be the same size and type to ensure an accurate signal. Tires other than those specified by the manufacturer may result in unsatisfactory antilock performance.

LOW VEHICLE SPEED

The RWAL braking system will revert to normal braking and automatically turn off if the vehicle is moving less than a few mph. The lower limit at which RWAL is cancelled may be different depending on tire and wheel diameters.

HYDRAULIC PRESSURE

The RWAL system controls hydraulic pressure to both rear wheels simultaneously, not each one independently. If one rear wheel starts to decelerate too rapidly, the RWAL system affects the hydraulic pressure to both rear brakes RWAL Hydraulic Circuit

DIRECTIONAL STABILITY

The RWAL system operates on the rear wheels only, it is possible to lock the front wheels of the vehicle during a high deceleration stop. In this event, the vehicle will be stable, but the driver will be unable to alter the direction of the vehicle with the steering wheel Directional Stability

STOPPING DISTANCE

The RWAL brake system limits wheel slip to approximately 20%. This provides for maximum brake effectiveness. Wheel slip means how well the tires grip the road surface. With light or no braking there is no wheel slip. With the wheels locked (not rotating) during a panic stop, there is 100% wheel slip. To obtain the shortest stopping distance and the greatest control over the vehicle during heavy braking, approximately 20% wheel slip is most efficient, under most conditions.

PEDAL FEEL

The brake pedal feel is similar to that of a conventional brake system. Under certain conditions the pedal may drop slightly when there is a need for pressure increase during a long antilock stop. The sequence of antilock events is to isolate, decrease, and then increase pressure to maintain brake effectiveness. When the system is in the increase mode is when the pedal will drop slightly.

TIRE NOISE

The RWAL system prevents complete rear wheel lock-up, but some wheel slip is desired to obtain optimum braking performance. During brake pressure modulation brake pressure is increased and wheel slip controlled by the CAB is allowed to reach up to approximately 20%. This means that the wheel rolling speed is approximately 20% less than that of a free rolling wheel at any given vehicle speed. The wheel slip may result in some tire "chirping", depending upon the road surface. This sound should not be interpreted as a total wheel lock-up and can be considered normal under most conditions.

BRAKE PEDAL

During antilock braking, the RWAL valve cycles rapidly in response to CAB inputs. The driver may experience a pulsing sensation in the brake pedal and vehicle as the valves modulate brake fluid pressure as needed. Brake pedal and vehicle pulsations during an antilock stop should be considered as normal.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
where do I go from here. I have no warning lights on my Dash and I have no anti locks on my wheels
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.
How do you know for sure the RWAL is not working?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The rear wheels will lock up under braking
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Have you check the rear shoes and wheel cylinders to see if the wheel cylinders are leaking causing the drums to lock up? When did this start happening?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been this way for years I need to fix it now because other people are driving the truck there are no leaks no warped drums
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a scantool to we can monitor the ABS RWAL when your braking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Expert:  -Brad- replied 2 months ago.

Under heavy braking or light braking do the rears lock up? Will they lock up in the mornings when in reverse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rear brakes will lock up under emergency braking not light braking brakes will lock up on a wet surface with heavy braking