Craig Manning
Craig Manning,
Experience:  High Level- Senior Technician at Firestone Complete Auto Care
97029787

GOt a 95 dodge stealth rt tt awd. Can't start it anymore.

Customer Question

GOt a 95 dodge stealth rt tt awd. Can't start it anymore. Won't even crank. Any thing you can recommend. Changed the starter 2x already. First one worked 5?days.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Craig Manning replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today, these type of diagnostic issues are much easier to diagnose when we can talk on the phone. If you like I can send you an offer to receive a premium service phone call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Would prefer just to use the current service.

When the starter fails to start do you have power at the small wire the runs to the starter?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually. I only checked the bigger wire on the starter. I'll check that and get back to you. I don't currently have anyone to help me crank the car to test that. Let you know ASAP.

Ok, I will wait for your response, if I don't answer right away I may be at work but I will get back to you ASAP

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No rush. I'll get it sometime tomorrow around this time.

Sounds good I will look for your reply.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the delay... ok so when I tested it I had power. But there is also some after market wiring tied to the starter. Ignition signal wire goes through a relay then there is a wire directly off the battery sending power to the starter. It's kind of a common "mod on these cars for easier starting. I disconnected all of that went back to the factory wiring set up. It was all plug and play. I have also ran a new wire to the starter as I thought the original from the ignition switch under the hood looked questionable. Same thing every time on all set ups. I should note. The click click start mod is blowing the 10 amp fuse. It's not currently connected as of now it's all factory wiring.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry if that doesn't make complete sense but I'm lost where to go from here. Might also be worth noting. There is a remote start and alarm. But that failed a couple months ago. The shop said it needs a new brain. But seeing as the car ran well I didn't think it could be related.

It definitely could be the computer since the security has to allow computer to crank the engine.

Can you turn the motor over by hand with a wrench?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can push start the car and it runs fine. So I would assume the motor spins. But I'll verify.

If it is a manual check the condition of the clutch depression switch.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course it's manual how can you push start an automatic �� Clutch safety switch is bypassed.

I understand that you can't push start an automatic, it was more of statement that now I know it's a manual. If you have power to both the big and small wire then the only thing left is the starter are the connections clean and tight on the starter? What brand of starter are you using sometimes low quality parts can cause unforseen issues. The computer of the car just has to ground the relay to allow power through, so if you have power to both wires it's a starter assembly problem. Is the solenoid new as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Starter is a Wilson... it's the second one in a week. Pulled it out last night and bench tested it seems to work ok. Is there a way to verify the solenoid and starter are good usin a multimeter?

Autozone will test it for you for free, I would expect it to fail the amperage test, one thing we haven't talked about is the battery, I would recommend you take the starter and battery to your local parts house, and have them both digitally analyzed. It's possible your battery has 12.6v but has a diminished CCA capacity.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can a starter fail the amperage test even when it can be bench tested and spin and engage

Yes, the amperage would be how much it takes to spin and engage it basically.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I test resistance on the starter with it unhooked like what would I be getting between the ignition terminal to ground should I hear the multimeter beep and give a reading ?

The amperage draw is related to the brushes inside the starter.