Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 03 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4X4, with a 4.7. The

Customer Question

I have a 03 dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4X4 , with a 4.7.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The truck would not start yesterday morning. No crank, no clicking. just lights on the dash. I put a charger on the battery for most of the day, no change. I then changed the battery with one out of a working ram, still no change. I took off the negative terminal and let it set this morning to clear the computer, at lunch rehooked it up. No change. I noticed that the lights on the gear selector were all on, instead of it only being on the park selector. I can move the gear selector but no matter where I put it, neutral for example, all light stay light and no crank.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: I looked at the large 30 to 40 amps ones, no noticeable burn one. Did not go through all the small one with a meter yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not tested the starter yet, but am not surprised that it would not crank if It thinks the truck is in gear.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
transmission range sensor: not sure where this is or how my ram senses the location.
ignition switch: no problems before and appears to work:
Starter motor: again do not like the lights on the dash all being on at the same time. When you turn the key it takes a fraction of a second for all of the lights to come on on the PRNDL display. There is a relay click some where in the dash, then i turn the key to the start position but no starter at all.
Have to go now. Will check in tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

Please read below & i also sent you diagrams ,click on blue link to open the diagrams

'

TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR DESCRIPTION The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) is part of the solenoid module, which is mounted to the top of the valve body inside the transmission. The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) has five switch contact pins that: - Determine shift lever position - Supply ground to the Starter Relay in Park and Neutral only. - Supply +12 V to the backup lamps in Reverse only. The TRS also has an integrated temperature sensor (thermistor) that communicates transmission temperature to the TCM and PCM. OPERATION The Transmission Range Sensor (TRS) communicates shift lever position to the TCM as a combination of open and closed switches. Each shift lever position has an assigned combination of switch states (open/closed) that the TCM receives from four sense circuits. The TCM interprets this information and determines the appropriate transmission gear position and shift schedule.

There are many possible combinations of open and closed switches (codes). Seven of these possible codes are related to gear position and five are recognized as "between gear" codes. This results in many codes which should never occur. These are called "invalid" codes. An invalid code will result in a DTC, and the TCM will then determine the shift lever position based on pressure switch data. This allows reasonably normal transmission operation with a TRS failure.

TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY DESCRIPTION

1- also check the connector 23 way connector , spray electrical contact cleaner in case making poor or intermittent connection

2- check starter relay ,swap it with a known good one , or jump it from there can you turn the starter , i sent you location of it

3- the ignition switch ,checked you said .

4- battery checked and replaced

5- check battery cables from battery to starter, are you getting 12 volt on starter when u turn switch from on to start position ,

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 days ago.

Hey how are you

Just checking on you to see if you got the issue resolved or you like additional assistance on it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat