-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Can't find the fuel pump relay for a 2004 cummins, 200000. 8

Customer Question

Can't find the fuel pump relay for a 2004 cummins
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 200000. 8 months
JA: What is the model of your '04 Dodge?
Customer: Turbo diésel RAM 3500
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Thought it was the fuel pump, but there is no power to it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david carrier replied 5 months ago.

Hi this is dave from just answer and im here to help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Wanting to know the location of the fuel pump relay to see if that's the problem

Ok i will be back with you in just a minute i will try to upload a good pick for you

are you near the truck now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

does your fuse box under the hood look like this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No

ok hold on one more min

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's a pic

try this one

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Only saw pump relay for gas not for diesel

Your model ram Now looking closer to the pick you sent me is computer controlled for the fuel pump. Have you checked every fuse with either a test light of volt meter

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not yet

I would check all the fuses first just to be sure of that first. How long has this problem been happening for

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All the fuses look good but haven't tested anything. Just started happening. Replaced the fuel pump and ran for 20 minutes just fine and now nothing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you test all the fuses?

If you take a test light and hook the lead to the ground cable you can see on the tops of the fuses on either side of the fuse a small spot were the metal is exposed. Just touch the test light to the fuse and it will light up if you have power. must do this with the key in the on position. If the test light lights up when touching one side of the fuse and not when touching the other side of the fuse that fuse is blown. And for the square fuses just look at the center and look for a break in the contact.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Fuse 28-38 and 50 have no power on either side

Which wire were you testing at the fuel pump when you were checking for power and what did you use to check it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
All the other fuses have power on both sidesI used a test light. Checked all four wires because I didn't know which one was hot.Spoke to my mechanic and he told me to bump the starter and the fuel pump should run for 30 seconds after that so I had a buddy do that while I tested

ok. it sounds like this is going to be something your going to want one of your dodge dealer techs to help with. Im going to let one of them take over. I hope i was helpful a little for you and i hope you get to the bottom of this .

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
On the passenger side there is a selenoid looking thing behind the battery. It makes a bunch of noise now. Anything to do with it you think?
Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Ok I see your Cummins will not start and you said there is no voltage to the fuel pump.. Ok let me start by saying there is no fuel pump relay as the ECM controls the lift pump with a high side driver. Your lift pump(Supply pump) is on the side of the fuel filter housing and at the lift pump the Brown wire is voltage and Brown/Light Blue is the ground.. You will need to bump the starter and see if the lift pump is supplying the CP3 pump 500ml in 10 seconds..

Let me know your results,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 5 months ago.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad