Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Why does my 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT rear differential keep

Customer Question

Why does my 2008 dodge ram 1500 SLT rear differential keep breaking?
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  bill replied 6 days ago.

what do you mean by "breaking" and how often ?

and is this a STOCK truck or is it modified, how do you use your truck, i.e. towing a boat plowing "spirited" driving etc?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The first time the rearend was making sounds. I took it in to the dodge dealership, and they said the rear diff had metal shavings. the second time I was pulling my boat and the rear of my truck made a loud pop and it would not go anywhere. I looked under the truck and my rear diff was pouring fluid. The rear diff split in half. I mainly for the first time drove it back and forth to work and date trips. Work consisted of driving back and forth to the Army base I was stationed at. The second was pulling my boat. It is a stock truck besides a K&N air filter and flowmaster exhaust. I drive normally and not aggressive. As it stands now I need a new rear diff every 45000 miles.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 days ago.

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

I'm not sure why your rear axle keeps failing but you should have a 9-1/4 rear axle and since you said it split in half now then you will need a complete axle so are you going to purchase one complete or just the housing and your going to build it?

Talk soon,

Brad