Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I'm trying to restore a 1989 Dodge D150 with a 5.2 V8 and an

Customer Question

I'm trying to restore a 1989 Dodge D150 with a 5.2 V8 and an automatic transmission. There's a vacuum problem and the mechanic thinks the Air Switch Relief Valve solenoid is bad but he can't find the part so I'm trying to help him out. The part is located on the left side of the the engine and alongside 2 other similar looking solenoids. Any idea where I could find the part.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 230,000 miles on the engine and 180000 on the transmission.
JA: Are you fixing your D150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not fixing it myself, it's in a shop and they're having a hard time finding the part so I'm trying to help.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 days ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Are you referring to the air switching valves for the Air injection system for the exhaust?

I may have some info for you but need to make sure we are on the same page...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 7 days ago.

Does this look like the part you are looking for??

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
No that's not the part I need although everything on the internet directs me to the part when I try to search for the air switch relief valve solenoid. The part I need has an electrical connector on it and is located on the left rear side of the engine where as the part you're showing is located on the front right side of the engine. There are 2 other solenoids right next to the I need one is called a purge solenoid and the other is called the EGR solenoid. All 3 solenods look the same and I would buy all 3 if they come together.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I've attached photos of diagram on the truck hood and the actual part I need which is the middle of the 3 solenoid.
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 days ago.

How many vacuum ports are on that particular solenoid?? I may have a solution for you...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 7 days ago.

According to the diagram there are 3 but I need to be sure... Check to see that all 3 are connected somewhere...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
The shop where the truck is at is closed for the day. I will check tomorrow and get back to you.
Expert:  Robert R replied 7 days ago.

Sounds good.

I'll be here..

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Robert. The mechanic working on my truck says there are 3 ports on the solenoid and there are lines attached to all of them.
Expert:  Robert R replied 5 days ago.

I was researching this part on the NAPA web site. There are several similar solenoids available through NAPA. My recommendation is to take your existing part over to NAPA and have them get you something that will work for you. I also seen some of the solenoids have different connectors which you can purchase aftermarket jumper wire connectors that will fit the new part. You can have your mechanic solder in the pigtail connector inline to be able to connect to the NAPA supplied Solenoid..

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert