roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

My girlfriend has a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Gasoline. I

Customer Question

Hi, My girlfriend has a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Gasoline. I believe a 318 engine. The low beams of the headlights do not work at all. Hi beams work but seem very dim. Her son attached fog lights to the parking light circut to supplement no low beams. They are not very bright either. I have checked voltages and found only about nine volts to the lights. It has been a year since I have checked this. I work out of town and am back home again and will tackle tthis problem again. I would like a wiring diagram of the headlights from battery to bulb if possible. I purchased a Hanes book for her vehicle but she dosenot know where it is. As I recall, there was not much in the book to cover this problem anyway. Thanks
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

ok, first, disconnect fog lights. the circuit was not designed for that load and attaching that overloads that circuit. it needs to run independently of the light circuit.

check all grounds for being clean and tight. make sure the listed fuses are good.

attached is a wiring diagram you requested.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 8 days ago.

are you there

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi Roy Could you please resend then gif. I only got the screen shot and not the file. I am told a possible cause may be in the dimmer/ wiper switch on the column. At the head light pig tail, I am getting 12v on the center low beam pin and 12v on the hi beam pin but no chassie ground or bat neg on the common pin. I did not realize the low beams went through the dimmer switch. Also the light control module may be a t fault but the column switch is the general cause. in any case there does not seem to be a return path to ground for the head light pig tails. Thanks