-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

I need exact procedure for replacing water pump, it goes in

Customer Question

I need exact procedure for replacing water pump
JA: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: it goes in for service in another 300 miles, and no it has not over heated , but when I remove the radiator cap and it reaches temp the fluid does not circulate and I have an intermittent squeal and chatter from same area
JA: What year is your 300?
Customer: it is a 1999 dodge stratus 2.4 l
JA: Are you fixing your 300 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 300 is the mileage left before service
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: do I need to change the timing belt at the same time and what do I need for parts for a clean and worry free install
JA: The Dodge Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: so use just answer?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 6 months ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Here is how to replace the water pump..

WATER PUMP - 2.0/2.4L ENGINES

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on a hoist. Remove right inner splash shield.
  2. Remove accessory drive belts and power steering pump. Refer to Accessory Drive Belt service in this section.
  3. Drain cooling system. Refer to Cooling System Draining in this section.
  4. Support engine from the bottom and remove right engine mount.
  5. Remove right engine mount bracket.
  6. Remove timing belt, camshaft sprockets, and rear timing belt cover.
  7. Remove water pump attaching screws to engine Water Pump

INSTALLATION

1. Install new O-ring gasket in water pump body O-ring groove Water Pump Body

CAUTION: Make sure O-ring is properly seated in water pump groove before tightening screws. An improperly located O-ring may cause damage to the O-ring and cause a coolant leak

2. Assemble pump body to block and tighten screws to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.) Water Pump Pressurize cooling system to 15 psi with pressure tester and check water pump shaft seal and O-ring for leaks.
  3. Rotate pump by hand to check for freedom of movement.
  4. Install rear timing belt cover, camshaft sprockets, and timing belt.
  5. Install right engine mount bracket and engine mount.
  6. Fill cooling system.
  7. Install power steering pump and accessory drive belts.

TIMING BELT

TIMING BELT

REMOVAL

1. Raise vehicle on hoist. Remove right front wheel.
  2. Remove right inner splash shield.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts. Refer toCooling System.
  4. Remove crankshaft damper bolt, and remove damper. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  5. Remove generator belt idler pulley.
  6. Remove lower timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover Timing Belt Covers
  7. Lower vehicle and remove upper timing belt cover fasteners and remove cover
  8. Remove right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section

CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.

9. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth) Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing

NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned

.
  10. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner Locking Timing Belt Tensioner While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8" or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
  11. Remove timing belt

CAUTION: If timing belt was damaged due to incorrect tracking (alignment), the belt tensioner assembly must be replaced. Refer to Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly Removal and Installation procedure in this section.

INSTALLATION

1. Set crankshaft sprocket to TDC by aligning the sprocket with the arrow on the oil pump housing.
  2. Set camshafts timing marks so that the exhaust camshaft sprocket is a 1/2 notch below the intake camshaft sprocket Camshaft Sprocket Alignment For Timing Belt Installation

CAUTION: Ensure that the arrows on both camshaft sprockets are facing up.

3. Install timing belt. Starting at the crankshaft, go around the water pump sprocket, idler pulley, camshaft sprockets and then around the tensioner Timing Belt - Installation
  4. Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise Timing Belt - Installation to align marks and take up belt slack

NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.

5. Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.
  6. Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate the crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions. Verify that the TDC marks on crankshaft and timing marks on the camshafts are aligned as shown in Crankshaft and Camshaft Timing
  7. Install right engine mount and support bracket. Refer to Removal and Installation procedure in this section.
  8. Install upper timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  9. Install the lower timing belt cover bolts 4.5 N·m (40 in. lbs.)
  10. Install generator belt idler pulley and tighten bolt to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.)
  11. Install crankshaft damper.
  12. Install accessory drive belts.
  13. Install right inner splash shield.
  14. Install right front wheel

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad