sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 1999 dodge cummins 2500 - there is an electrical

Customer Question

my 1999 dodge cummins 2500 - there is an electrical component just to the right side of the driver side battery - two black wires come from it. When I hook those wires back to the battery I am getting a big spark - what component do these black wires go to - what does it do?
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I have not check all of the fuses, I do not have a wiring diagram. I want to know what the component goes to. It has 2 little selenoids - looks like a ford selenoids, each have two wires and on top are four large wires, what is this component and what does it do?
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: am fixing it myself and all I have done is found the draw on the battery with the two black wires that hook to the post of the battery. With the door closed and ignition off I have a draw on those wires. they are the wires that go to the selenoids just trying to find out what that component is and what it does]
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A picture would help but you're describing the intake heater solenoids. There will be two solenoids mounted together with driver wires and battery cables in and out, the output goes to the intake heater. Most likely the solenoids are stuck on and will need to be replaced.

The draw is still present with the small wires disconnected, correct?