Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2000 Ram 1500, backfiring in exhaust and losing power after

Customer Question

2000 Ram 1500, backfiring in exhaust and losing power after cooling off for 15 - 20 min.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I'm the passenger and it feels like it's backfiring right beneath me. About 6 months. We don't drive it more than once or twice a week, tho.
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: throttle position sensor, MAP sensor, intake air temperature sensor, water temperature sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 18 days ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. first off what engine are we dealing with and is the check engine light on? and if so what are thee codes?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
no check engine light. 5.9

ok thanks

Backfiring thru the intake means a spark plug is firing at the wrong time. Either the ignition cables are not routed correctly or maybe the cables are connected to the wrong spark plug. On a 5.9, it is easy to mix up 6-8 or 5-7. I would verify the ignition cables are installed correctly.

Expert:  david craig replied 17 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
starting over...backfiring thru exhaust. When we start from cold, engine works fine... problem arises when it sits for 15 to 20 minutes, and we re-start. then it backfires, sputters and won't go over 40 miles an hour for two to five minutes; then runs fine again.
Expert:  david craig replied 15 days ago.

do you have a scan tool that reads live data?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I believe so... actron CP9180?

ok, you're going to have to hook up the scanner and drive the vehice til it starts acting up and then record the event or freeze frame the event so we can see what all the parameters are at when the problem occurs

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
before we do this, let me say this: when this happens, it acts like it's flooding (or not getting enough gas), we press down on the accelerator and it chokes off, let up and press down again, it starts to respond, then chokes off again.

im going to opt and out see if another tech has any thoughts on this. intermittent issues are difficult to diagnose over the internet for sure. good luck

Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

Different Expert here.

Have you checked fuel pressure? You might just have a faulty fuel pump causing this problem intermittantly when warm.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no. going to do that now. at idle? or under some load?
Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

The problem is when the engine is warm under a load right? So you will need to check it WHEN this condition occurs under a load when accelerating. I have the fuel pressure is low, possibly due to a weak fuel pump.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
do you have suggestions on how to check the fuel pressure while driving down the road? the hose we have isn't long enough to reach from the engine compartment into the cab.
Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

YES, I do.. one minute while I post that information

Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

First, you most likley can do this (check fuel pressure) and get it to act up doing a brake stand under a load. This way you dont have to drive the vehicle. You can have someone inside the vehicle doing a brake stand while you are standing next to the vehicle watching the fuel pressure gauge readings while it is hooked up to the fuel rail with the hood open.

Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

Second, you can purchase an electronic or digital fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to the fuel rail and has a long "wire" that goes into the vehicle on your hand held digitial display so you can take a fuel pressure reading while driving down the road.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
just checked at idle: 46 lbs.Turned off; went under truck to check to see how hard it would be to remove fuel tank to change fuel pump. heard glug-glug gurgling in tank, pressure was dropping rapidly.
Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

You got it! I suspect we nailed it. Replace the fuel pump and you will be good to go!

Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
you're sure it's the pump and not the regulator? is there a check valve? our manual...Haynes Repair manual for 2000 full-sized pick ups ...doesn't show a check valve unless it's in the pump itself
Expert:  Amedee replied 15 days ago.

YES, thats correct. The fuel pump regulator is in the fuel pump assembly.

Expert:  Amedee replied 14 days ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!