Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L. I changed the rear

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2003 Grand Caravan Sport, 3.8L. I changed the rear heat tubes as they rotted trough. Heat was abundant but it it wasn't cold out. I blead the air out of the coolant by leaving the rad cap off at night and topping up the The Dex Cool in the morning. One morning I tried to put the heat on and when I slid the temperature control sliders to heat I heard a cracking sound. Since then, I have heat but it's not super hot. It's -8 Celcius at present and only going to get colder. I tested the coolant and it registered good until -45 Celcius on the device. Any suggestions?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: I don't believe there are any cracks in the radiator. I don't see any leaks or drips when I park the van. The coolant overflow reservoir is just under the minimum level line.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I'm fixing the van myself. I replaced the heat tubes myself. \one interesting thing though, The original input into the heater core had an inline reducer just before the heater core. The parts supply store that I purchased the rear heat tubes as well as a mechanic at a Chrysler dealership told me that this reducer was not required as the replacement part didn't come with it. Is it really required?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Is the problem with the front and rear heater or just the rear or ??

Chris

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I've only noticed the front.
Expert:  Chris replied 14 days ago.

Ok then if it is only the front, and the rear heater gets good and hot, then the problem is a broken front blend door actuator and/or broken blend door. That crack you heard was probably the door or actuator breaking. What I would recommend doing is to remove the blend door actuator and manually operate the door to see if it will swing to the hot position. If it does, then just replace the actuator. If it does not, then you will need to remove the dash and HVAC unit to replace the temperature blend door.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 14 days ago.

Would you like the procedure for replacing the blend door actuator?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 14 days ago.

Hello? Did you receive my last reply?

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 13 days ago.

Hello?