Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

How does this service work in regards to price and payment

Customer Question

Robert, how does this service work in regards ***** ***** and payment
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 18 days ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 29+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

You decide the price... it appears that you chose $28 as the price for the question...

As for payment, the site takes the deposit in good faith that you will accept the answer. The amount remains in your JA account until you decide to pay the expert by rating with a positive rating.. Only at that time is the expert paid and the funds are used from your JustAnswer Account.

Now on to your question.

You stated you had it "Diagnosed" at Oreilley's. Did they give you a printout of the codes that were retrieved? If so, please post them here and I'll be happy to help...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No print out. I recall the salesperson looking for an engine coolant temperature sensor as a result of the diagnosis. He suggested changing the thermostat out first which I did. Same issues continued, a few days later. Had to haul the truck to mechanic (Monday of this last week) who said the fuel pump was bad and they replaced it. Actually had to jumpstart the truck at the mechanic shop when I picked it up this last Thursday but it cranked right up and had no trouble the remainder of the afternoon. Sat in driveway Friday and trouble repeated Saturday morning, turning over but not cranking. Currently no warning lights on dash. Checked fuses and don't see anything obvious to a non mechanic in the eng compartment fuse panel.
Expert:  Robert R replied 18 days ago.

Since you had to jump start it at the mechanic shop, i suspect a problem with the battery. At this time it is a good idea to have the battery load tested. You can have this done at your local autozone or oreilleys for free. You may need to jump start it again to get it over to the parts store...

If the battery fails the load test then you will need to have it replaced....

If it is cranking normal, the problem may be the coolant temp sensor. If so, the sensor will need to be replaced....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
far nothing is showing as problematic with any diagnosing at mechanic. Fuses, all sensors including coolant temp sensor, fuel pump of course, all indicate functioning with the computer testing. No malfunction codes are identified. The mechanic said it would not start yday until the outside temp warmed up after lunch time. We've had some frost and the last few nights lows were in the 20s with highs into 50-60s.
Any new insights, Robert?
Expert:  Robert R replied 15 days ago.

What your mechanic needs to do is first thing in the morning BEFORE attempting to start it, He needs to hook up his scanner and monitor the coolant temperature using the scanner. Compare the coolant temperature per the scanner to the actual ambient temperature. IF the coolant temp sensor is more than 10 degrees out of range from the actual ambient temperature, he will need to REPLACE the coolant temperature sensor and retest. IF the coolant temp sensor is out of range by more that 10 degrees, it WILL cause a no start or hard start condition in the morning when cold. THis can happen without setting codes in the PCM...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you paid to use the service. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Expert:  Robert R replied 15 days ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my response, I want to say "Thanks, ***** ***** you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also to let you know you can bookmark >>> My Profile Page <<< in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not rated my response, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.