AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

It is stalling out typically in reverse, while taking

Customer Question

It is stalling out typically in reverse, while taking corners and also while deceleration...it has slowly been getting worse...have tried new spark plugs and wires and removed and cleaned the EGR Valve...I am thinking it is something simple because after it dies it will start right back up one the key is turned off....this has however become dangerous while on the highway, etc
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: No wheel lock and it starts better in park...but some times while in neutral
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, spark plugs and wires, EGR Valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Replaced the fuel pump about 6 months ago...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 6 months ago.

HI. Was this happening before you replaced the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it died and would not start at all before replacing the fuel pump

OK, so the intermittent stalling problem started after the fuel pump replacement? Usually when symptoms such as these are present, it's due to a wire shorting to ground intermittently. Usually a wire that has rubbed bare, and touches something metal when turning, stopping, etc. Often times the problem is in the loom near the rear of the engine, but im thinking in your case that it's happening near the fuel tank. Quite possibly a fuel pump wire that has been pinched during installation of the tank when replacing the pump, or a loose fuel pump connector, etc.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I read about the wiring harness and have inspected that and from what I can tell there are no wires touching or places burned out....I can check later when I get home to see about the wiring to the fuel pump

Please do. This is almost definitely either a shorting wire, or a bad connection.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It ran well for several months after the fuel pump was replaced and then about 3-4 weeks ago it started running really rough and dying in reverse and when decelerating....

Ok. That being the case, i'm assuming there are trouble codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but I dont remember what they are...the one I remember had to do with cylinder 6

alright. It sounds then like the problem is a misfire. The reason why is quite possibly a shorting spark plug wire.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hmmm....well I changed the spark plug wires to new ones and everything went crazy....then I read that the factory wires were much better so I changed them back...then it actually ran better....this issue has me baffled...
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im getting ready to head out for the evening and dont think I will have much time tomorrow to work on it....can I sign back in on Monday and let you know what I found out?

Yes. You can sign back in and message me any time. Please check over the wires very good. maybe one of the wires isn't fully seated on the coil or the plug? Let me know what you find.

You can follow up any time at no extra charge.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok will do

great. Thanks.

Hi. Just wondering what you found out?