Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2001 dodge truck I have lost my car key don't have another

Customer Question

2001 dodge truck I have lost my car key don't have another one can they make that at a hardware store ace or Lowe's Walmart and can I use tailgate or door lock to have a key made I don't have no spare there's got to be a easy way to do this or cheap po er than 150 omg please help
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 22 days ago.

HI,

Those places can only cut duplicate keys, meaning that they need the original key in order to make another one. As the tailgate and doorlock key is different from the ignition key, cutting a duplicate of it wont accomplish anything.

Because your ignition key has a chip in it for the antitheft system, you have to have a chipped key made so that it will work with your system.

The only two options are to either have the dealership make one or to see if your local locksmiths have blank chipped keys and have them come out, remove the ignition cylinder and make a key to match the tumblers and program it.

Expert:  Eric replied 20 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.