sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

My 2003 2500 the trailer lights plug doesn't work. i read

Customer Question

my 2003 2500 the trailer lights plug doesn't work. i read about relays that are in the interior of the fuse box go bad. instead of opening the box up i replaced it with a used one i purchased. still the trailer light plug doesn't work. what else can i check? all wires are in tact that i can see
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 73000 it starts right up. sometimes i notice the smallest delay in ignition but barely noticeable
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i replaced the fuse box with a used one i found online. supposedly guaranteed
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 18 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a few things that could be going on depending on exactly what symptoms you're experiencing. The most likely cause for something in the trailer connector not working would be a wiring issue.

What function isn't working?
Is this the four way, seven way or both?

Do all lights on the truck work correctly?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
all lights work. The four way and seven way don't don't work

What function is not working?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
All lights on the truck work. The four way and seven way trailer connector do not work

What function on the trailer connectors does not work?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
All of it doesn't work. No signals at all. No lights etc. I am not getting any power at all to either connector

You've verified each circuit does nothing using an incandescent test light at the connectors?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I hooked it up to a trailer that works off my other trucks and I have a 7 way plug in light tester as well. Getting no power at all

Using something that plugs into the connector or a trailer doesn't give you any useful information for individual circuits and isn't a substitute for actual testing. If you were missing ground then nothing on a trailer would work but that doesn't mean there is no power to any of the circuits.

You need to start by connecting the alligator clip of an incandescent test light to a good ground and test the park light and brake/turn circuits for power with the appropriate lights turned on and see if the test light lights up. If so then connect the alligator clip to battery positive and test the ground.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
A local mechanic gave me his trailer plug tester. It's a 7 way tester. It lights up when plugged in to the 7 way and any trailer functions are in use. It works on all my other trucks but this one. Serves the same function as a tester light

It isn't the same as a test light whatsoever and isn't useful other than trying to differentiate if a problem is on a trailer or the vehicle, and even in then it isn't accurate if it uses LED's. It uses the ground in the connector and if that ground is missing then the tester isn't going to work. If you're attempting to diagnose the problem yourself then the first steps in doing so are what I described.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok I will try that

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Will do

Great!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Put a test light on 7 way and 4 way. Got nothing
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 17 days ago.

You tested exactly as I described and no wire in any connector lights the test light at any time? The only possible cause would be every wire is broken somewhere in the harness.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I just unplugged the wire harness from behind the 7 way and tested the wire harness and got power. So I guess the plug is bad

Yes, that issue is in the connector.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thanks

You're welcome!