Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2006 ram 2500 4x4 5.9L 48re. It's been running

Customer Question

I have a 2006 ram 2500 4x4 5.9L 48re. It's been running great and out of the blue quit shifting down to 1st and 2nd, everything else shifted good. I was told to it was the shift selonid and the transducer so I replaced them. Ran fine for a couple of miles and went back to no 1st or 2nd, except this time I don't have my final gear so I'm rapped out at 50 MPhil and fuel mileage is gone. I'm at wits end, please help!!
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Ok, so what about my question?
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: It's an 06 with 153,000 miles. No leaking at all, everything was top shape
JA: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?
Customer: 2500
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've replaced to transducer, shift solenoid and speed sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the check engine light has come on with this fault here at all the first thing that needs to be done is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to help locate and correct this issue here.

I have seen issues with the transmission valve body itself cause this fault needing replaced in some cases.It is possible this is the valve body itself at fault needing replaced here.

You may have to have the transmission tested further to see if the valve body or any other component needs replaced which may require a transmission fluid pressure test gauge to do this testing as well as electrical test equipment.In some cases the transmission may have to be removed to test properly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete