Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2007 dodge chargers wen I turn the key off the hole

Customer Question

I have a 2007 dodge chargers wen I turn the key off the hole car die can't turn lights or nothing on its a old police car
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I don't know about a locking feature but it in park
JA: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I had a alarm install an they can't put it in properly because the car has no power to arm it once the switch is off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything been checked or tested for this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Nothing has been checked
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Are you able to get anything to come on at all with this issue at any time or is it completely dead now with no electronics at all?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Wen the key is on everything works but wen u switch it off car dies
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Is there anything after market that was left on the vehicle from the police conversion?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I don't know
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

O.k.,has this always been an issue since you purchased the vehicle?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I bought it 2 months ago wen I went to get the alarm install that's wen it was brought to my attention so I have to get it resolved
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

O.k.,it is difficult to pinpoint for sure from here what is occuring but what I suspect is that a shut off device was wired in/installed to kill all power to the vehicle with the key off.This is very possible being a police vehicle as components like this are installed like this here.

Unfortunately since so many companies install components like this here it is difficult to say for sure from here where this device is located.I would assume it is tied into the ignition switch and may be behind or under the dash area on the drivers side.I would have this inspected to locate any police modification components that need removed and the vehicle wired back to the way it was before to correct this here.But I do suspect it is tied into the ignition itself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete