-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech
Experience:  16 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge Technician. ASE Master Certified(L-1)
10114124

Like info on HOW the exhaust brake works. Is there a flapper

Customer Question

Like info on HOW the exhaust brake works. Is there a flapper the turbo? Can cleaning the turbo damage the EB? Thanks.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 75K, 6.7L, 17-17.5 mpg
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Can you answer the question? Explain EB function. I'm interested
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, if you're asking... different between Tow-Haul function and EB function? Thanks.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

TURBOCHARGER EXHAUST BRAKE FUNCTION -The VGT works in conjunction with the engine and transmission to provide an integrated braking system used to help slow the vehicle. This is commonly called exhaust braking. This braking power is achieved by modulating the turbo sliding nozzle ring to restrict the flow of exhaust gases from the engine, which in turn creates a high back pressure on the engine. The high back pressure creates a high level of resistance to the motion of the pistons within the engine and this resistance is used to reduce engine speed and thus vehicle speed.
The exhaust brake feature will only function when the driver turns the exhaust brake switch to the on position. Once the switch is in the on position and the vehicle is moving faster than 8 k/h (5 MPH); the exhaust brake will automatically operate when the driver removes pressure from the throttle pedal allowing the engine to see 0% throttle and 0 fuel delivery.
Exhaust braking is most effective when the engine RPM is higher. The automatic transmission has been programmed to downshift more aggressively when the exhaust brake is enabled to increase brake performance. Use of automatic transmission Tow/Haul Mode improves interaction between the engine and transmission. Inputs to the exhaust brake feature include:
· Coolant temperature
· Ambient air temperature
· Exhaust manifold pressure sensor
· Throttle Position Sensor

We (dealership) clean them all the time and it will not hurt the VGT.

If you need anymore assistance feel free to shoot me a reply and don't forget to RATE before leaving the site so I get credit for helping you today..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Great answer Brad. I learned a lot. Now, why is my EB not working? Things you should know about my 2009 2500 Ram. Dealer recently removed failed/dead PCM, recovered injector codes programmed and retested GOOD. They also performed 67,500 SCV, cleaned turbo and EGR system, replaced CCV filter, retested GOOD. Purchasd truck with 60K on it and ran for ONE year, 75K on it now. EB always worked. Fell in love with it and now purchased a travel trailer and the Tow Haul feature works great. Still NO EB for around town driving. Any ideas? Thanks. *****
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
You're probably pretty busy but hoping you can comment on my response POST to your answer. Let me know if this will take a little longer. Must go to work soon. Thanks for your help so far. Bob C.
Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

Bob if your exhaust brake will not work you will need to monitor it with a scantool and if the VGT is getting the signal then you will need to replace the turbo and have the ECM updated to the latest software..

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 23 days ago.

Have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 18 days ago.

I see you haven't rated yet which means I have not been credited for helping. Don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my assistance..

Thank you and have a great day,

Brad

Expert:  -Brad- replied 16 days ago.

Do you need more help?

Expert:  -Brad- replied 11 days ago.

This question is 10 days old.. If you need more help feel free to reply and if not then don't forget to leave me a rating so I get credit for helping..

Expert:  -Brad- replied 9 days ago.

Hello?